Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My new(ish) NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    And my old Baccaruda was painted a slightly more understated Skoda Orange.
    I've heard you mention your Baccaruda before, is there a story behind it being called Baccaruda and not Barracuda? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvIVvwXieo

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    I've heard you mention your Baccaruda before, is there a story behind it being called Baccaruda and not Barracuda?
    Just a Mopar in-joke really. It's a line from "Summer Fun" by the Barracudas, a post-punk surf band from the early '80s...

https://youtu.be/Y4dBjjGeAWA

The intro says it all

My Baccaruda was not a fastback, it was a 1971 E-Body. Unremarkable on the outside (and alas, very rusty), it was a European export model with every performance and handling upgrade that Chrysler had at their disposal. Following a bit of research it turned out my lil' ol' car was actually the Chrysler Benelux Motor Show car in 1971, the same show that the Lancia Stratos Zero was at. So there's a claim to fame, right there

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

sweet! `¬)

Thanks.
    I had to push the Nova into the daylight today, like a summers day!
    Loads of detailing and finishing to do, paints OK, nothing amazing, but it's coming along.
    I spent way too long once spraying a Lotus Europa and 6 months later I got osmosis in the paint
    (where it starts bubbling due to trapped moisture), so I'm going to see how it goes with the fibreglass
    on this car then maybe one day get it prepped and sprayed professionally. I'm thinking it may need a gold centre stripe, not sure on the matt black bonnet but it breaks up the orange- need to make new light covers...
    Attached Images Attached Images

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Don't be so hard on yourself NN17 ... you've come such a long way since the photo of the lop-sided Nova in the car port in the advert.

... and if you're not sure about the bonnet, I'll buy it from you, or swap it for my Mk2 bonnet!

Your Nova's looking great!

Alistair

the black bonnet looks right with the orange, a gold stripe may make it look too fussy?

Thanks BlueNova- still lopsided though as the spring plates etc need to come off
    to even up the splines so it sits level. Its a job I'm sure I'll have to give to someone
    to do but not sure who- a mobile classic beetle mechanic maybe?!

With a stripe I would do the bonnet orange too-
    Stripe would be a single, wide one with 2 smaller ones either side (vinyl) in gold.

BTW, check out this video on a Cimbria/Sterling? I'm really inspired by it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAw1R_prpNA
    Last edited by novanewbie17; 20-09-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Looking good, but I think I would prefer to see the bonnet done in orange.

I agree with Alistair - The Nova looks so much better with the Nostrils in the Bonnet. Shame the looks of the car were watered down when the MK2 came out losing the nostrils on the bonnet and air scoop on the front undertray but I suspect it was done to make the moulding process simpler.

Adjusting the ride height is actually a very simple process, mine used to sit lopsided but is now level after a few attempts to set it up properly
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Adjusting the ride height is actually a very simple process, mine used to sit lopsided but is now level after a few attempts to set it up properly
    I was going to say, mobile Beetle mechanics are probably a bit thin on the ground. Resetting the ride height is not a big challenge, and if you get it wrong you just try again. Just make sure you settle the suspension down after each adjustment.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Very important to get it even, there is a big difference between static and ride height. Although I have added to the frame stops so the static ride height is set level the driven height is also level due to setting the tension 'off stop' by bouncing the car after setting up as the wheels will tend to toe under and needs 'persuading' to move the tyres out against the road surface to their proper position.
    rear camera.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 21-09-2019 at 09:41 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl