Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Engine Missfire

I had this for 2 years on my Nova, I had to slowly get revs up before pulling away or I would stumble and sometimes stall. I bit the bullet last month and had the carbs overhauled by a guy in Sittingbourne kent. He found lots of water damage inside (car had sat for 4 years out side when I bought it) and the emulsion tubes were not clean enough to allow free flowing fuel through(I cleaned them out myself obviously not that well of a job) I also found inlet head gasket soaked with fuel on one back which I think was letting in air. Since having back on the car it pulls away strong and doesn't hesitate when I blip the throttle, I have used empi throttle gaskets as the alot thicker than standard ones and give better seal.
    . I have two IDF twin webber on my duel port heads, on 009 with electric point's. Works well together. I also upgraded my ignition coil and leads 3 years ago to a flame thrower unit.
    Last edited by JONESY25; 20-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Cheers

Ryan

Been driving the car quite a bit over the last few days and there's definately a big improvement but still some stumbling (hesitancy) now and then. Had it on the Motorway last night and it sat at 80 quite comfortably. Meanwhile I haven't tried any of the other Carbs yet but bought some engine start (ether) spray to check for air leaks and have discovered there is ineed a leak on one of the inlet manifold boots couplings. I'd had them all apart a few weeks ago to check they weren't perished and all seemed good but it would appear one of them isn't sealing properly. Have I finally got to the bottom of this?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Lets hope so, Mine was easy, just a tracking HT lead (obvious when in the dark) but you seem to have been through the mill a bit on this one,. A smear of sealant on the suspect area will soon verify your theory.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

So yesterday I tightened up the jubilee clips on the inlet manifold couplings and sprayed again with ether and it seemed to have cured the leak. However, because of the heavy rainfall I never took the car out for a test drive until this evening...

The car is now running great with little or no hesitancy anymore and plenty of low down torque compared to how it had been. I'm satisfied now that the problems all along have been mainly due to air leaks. The new distributor has made a big difference but I still intend to experiment with the other Carbs to see how well they perform. But whatever happens, I'm now quite happy with the engine the way it is now with the current carb and distributor set up. I definately needed the new distributor as the ruptured diaphragmn on the old one was a major cause - but suspect I could have got away without replacing the original Carb - the original Carb (which I had already stripped down and overhauled) may have been OK after all. And the cheapo Ebay 4pict 3 may even turn out to be OK, and if it is - should be a better match for the distributor. I wont know until I try fitting them again.

I have noticed that my Rev counter (which takes it's pulse from the coil) has become erratic since fitting the new distributor and not sure why? Points gap maybe? or faulty condenser or coil?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns