Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Missfire

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Thanks Bret and Dirk

My reply from Machine 7 also indicates that they don't think the 30 pict Carb is really suitable.

They don't think its "really suitable"???.... so did they say what is "really suitable"

To me "suitable" means it will work but its not the best. Same goes for their distributor. They use the same wording for that.

I think this topic could be a candidate for a "sticky"

Carb and Distributor combinations seem to make or break the performance of these engines. A lot of discussions and info on the web on just this one topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    They don't think its "really suitable"???.... so did they say what is "really suitable"
    This was the advice I received - "Really with a 30 Pict-1 you want a short cap, short base single vacuum only distributor as originally fitted to VWs between 1965-68"

I'm thinking of just going with an 009 distributor now
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Wowsers. So the 1300 distributor actually has an offset lobe for #3 cylinder? Seems like a very odd approach to me, I would have equalised the cooling on all 4 cylinders before retarding the timing on just one. That effectively sacrifices power in one cylinder, although probably not enough to make the idle obviously lumpy.

If you have the oil cooler in the shroud then it sounds like you are going to get early detonation in #3 even if you have an 009, so you will just have to retard the static timing until it stops.

Doesn't sound like the kind of engine I could fall in love with, to be honest - there seem to be too many compromises, but I guess it all adds to the vintage charm - like a 2CV or a Fiat 500

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

So it turns out the Cheap ebay Carb I bought is in fact a 34 pict-3 model which is supposedly the ideal combination to go with the SDVA distributor. You may recall I tried this carb with limited success as it didn't run any better (in fact it was worse) than my original Carb so I sideligned it. However, on reflection, now that I know the air leak is coming via the broken vacuum advance diaphragm on my current distributor, and also reading how this carb draws a stronger vacuum (so presumably has a bigger air leak when the diaphragm is faulty) this may account for its poor performance.

Are you with me so far?

So my thinking is to buy an SVDA distributor and try it with my current collection of three carbs to see which has the best performance. If I'm really lucky, the 34 pict-3 (cheapo ebay device) will turn out to run like a dream when combined with the correct (SVDA) distributor. If it turns out to be the case that these carbs are rubbish after all then as a fall back my new 30 pict-1 should still work using mechanical advance only with the SDVA (i.e in 009 mode). Or the original carb that came with the engine may itself turn out to work better with the SVDA distributor.

Anyone still with me?

Whatever the outcome - the lumpy running I have been experiencing with all three carbs is almost certainly down to the leaking diaphragm on my existing distributor. Plugging the vacuum port on the 30 pict-1 carb that is currently fitted has resulted in an improvment but is still not perfect (presumably because the vacuum advance isn't working and I don't know if this current distributor has mechanical advance.

The plot thickens...
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

Anyone still with me?
    If this was a TV show I would have it on Series Record
    I need to know how this ends ;-)

This is turning out to be really useful with the information being discussed, I’ve made the thread a sticky.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

So it turns out the Cheap ebay Carb I bought is ................................

Are you with me so far?

So my thinking is to buy an SVDA distributor and try it with my current collection of three carbs to see which has the best performance ............................................

Anyone still with me?

Whatever the outcome ...................................

The plot thickens...
    Robert,

Sorry, I should perhaps address you as 'Mr Bruce' ...... you'll get there!!

Come to think of it, if Mr Bruce was alive today, I bet you he'd have a Nova because his perseverance would be invaluable!!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 05-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Perhaps it's all down to a spider?
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Perhaps it's all down to a spider?
    Or maybe a spyder?

I had a misfire on #1 and it turned out to be a leaking HT lead onto the shroud. New lead set cured that.

I am running a setup so far removed from 'standard' I can't remember what it was like all those years (and pounds) ago.

009 dizzy with contactless ignition,
    Petronix coil.
    8mm silicone leads,
    NGK caps and plugs.
    Duel DelLorto DRLA 40s.
    Electric pump/filter unit.
    3 bar regulator with gauge

But each unto their own.
    Last edited by Peter; 06-06-2019 at 10:02 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl