Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experimental: Mock-up opening side windows

Experimental: Mock-up opening side windows

Hi All, I've been puzzling with the opening side window challenge for a long time. Many, many moons ago I drove a Citroen 2CV6 (the high power version, with 602cc of grunt..) which had side windows you could fold up, that principle I used to build a mock-up. I made a wooden frame with a clear life size 4mm thick Lexan screen. Instead of folding up outwards I made the window folding down inwards. Of course, sealing is critical but could be managed (I used "h"-profile rubber to do so). With a lot of imagination the shape of a Nova side window is like a stretched rugby ball. I used this shape to determine the folding line. From Ebay I sourced the plastic hinges. It is all a kind of rough, and should be given some cometic make-over. I just wanted to find out what the strength was of a installed side screen with a big part cut out. To my surprise it holds up fine, no awkward flexing is notable and the seals are pressed firmly against the screen. Maybe just an idea...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,

Rob

Illegitimi non carborundum

1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT

Nice one - I can see no reason why that shouldn't work and is a practical solution. The only downside I can see is the seals and hinges would cut down on the visibility slightly? But something like this would add well needed ventilation to prevent misting of the front screen as well as other benefits
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Experimental: Mock-up opening side windows

Phil, visibility is one of the things I can't check because my canopy is not fitted, most obstructive is in my opinion the vertical seal near the A-pillar. Opening and closing isn't a swift operation, 3 clamps have to be opened, and to hold the opened window in a fixed position an extra clamp is needed. If I modifiy one of the hinges so it generates some friction (by replaciing the steel rod by a nut and bolt) it would be possible to open the window slightly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,

Rob

Illegitimi non carborundum

1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update, watching with interest as it's a problem I will need to solve at some point.

My thoughts are to have sliding windows like they had in the original Mini when it first came out.

The aperture and sliding section would need to be carefully shaped to maximise the opening available. The sliding section would move on "U" shaped aluminium channel fixed to the permanent section of the window

WINDOW.jpg

Or you could do it the opposite way with the opening at the back:-

WINDOW2.jpg
    Last edited by Phill; 03-06-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Another option (opening and also removable via a sliding pin at the pivot point)

Last edited by islandman; 03-06-2019 at 02:37 PM.

At some point (in the distant future!!) I''l be contemplating whether to fix my tinted glass side windows back in place or develop an opening side window solution, so I'll be interested to see how this thread progresses.

However, perhaps a word of caution ... shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong, but ...

When I had the windows bonded in place, whilst the opening looked 'flat' (ie to match the sheet of flat glass) it was in fact slightly curved. The car sat outside for 3 years before I managed to build a garage for her, and the side windows debonded right at the middle of the 'curve' (ie where the bonding material was under greatest tension). Stupidly I stuck gaffer tape around the edge of the windows as a quick fix to stop the rain getting in and also the windows falling out! Years later I tried to remove the tape when the Nova was safely tucked up in the garage, but the glue from the tape pulled some of the paint off!!

Anyway, perhaps worth checking if the opening is sufficiently 'flat' to enable a sliding window solution.

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    At some point (in the distant future!!) I''l be contemplating whether to fix my tinted glass side windows back in place or develop an opening side window solution, so I'll be interested to see how this thread progresses.

However, perhaps a word of caution ... shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong, but ...

When I had the windows bonded in place, whilst the opening looked 'flat' (ie to match the sheet of flat glass) it was in fact slightly curved. The car sat outside for 3 years before I managed to build a garage for her, and the side windows debonded right at the middle of the 'curve' (ie where the bonding material was under greatest tension). Stupidly I stuck gaffer tape around the edge of the windows as a quick fix to stop the rain getting in and also the windows falling out! Years later I tried to remove the tape when the Nova was safely tucked up in the garage, but the glue from the tape pulled some of the paint off!!

Anyway, perhaps worth checking if the opening is sufficiently 'flat' to enable a sliding window solution.

Alistair
    For future reference, try soaking the gaffer tape in methylated spirits to break the glue down before attempting to remove it.
    This works on most mediums so long as it isn't porous.
    If porous, there's a good chance the dye in the meths would stain the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    For future reference, try soaking the gaffer tape in methylated spirits to break the glue down before attempting to remove it.
    This works on most mediums so long as it isn't porous.
    If porous, there's a good chance the dye in the meths would stain the material.
    Thanks Gaisa
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I've always liked the idea of opening "windowlettes", but could never settle on a shape that was aesthetically pleasing AND functional at the same time. Part of the problem is the extreme styling of the car, the rake of the windscreen and the angle of the B pillar. ReNOVAtors design is actually very similar to light aircraft "storm" windows, which take the form of little flop-down windows in the front corners of the side windows, which are supposed to give the pilot a clear view of the landing field even when its hammering down.

Visibility is always an issue on the Nova, but it is amazing how quickly you can adapt to obstructions in your field of view - just a slight movement of the head to one side or another and its almost as if it isn't there. And there have been many examples of side windows with such obstructions over the years, starting with the Countach, Macca F1, Vector W2, W8, AWX-3, DeLorean, the list goes on...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!