Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experimental: Mock-up opening side windows

Hi Lauren, thanks for your comment. I've struggled indeed with the Styling v.s. Function dilemma. The shape of the "windowlette" could be improved by making the folding line longer, but that would result in a much longer "windowlette". Sealing off could become problematic, on the other hand, fewer cut-off points, one seal on the folding line and one seal following the upper edge of the window. Further, the shape of the seal itself, a flatter type of "h" profile seal would be much prettier and more OEM (like the Countach) Climate change (even in the Netherlands) makes the need for some ventilation more important, so I keep on investigating. I am also considering to convert the rear window so it can be opened. So much to do..
    Cheers,

Rob

Illegitimi non carborundum

1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT

An opening (or removable) rear window is a great idea for improving ventilation. I have to take my sunroof out when driving in damp conditions to stop the screen from misting - but of course this means rain gets into the car. I'm thinking maybe removing the rear window is the answer for my car - particularly as I have a louvre fitted
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    The Nova always needed cabin air extractor vents, but these were only fitted at the factory to the removable sunroof models. After I abandoned that approach due to the state of my sunroof canopy I have been trying to come up with an effective alternative to cutting slots in the canopy. So far I have come up with two possible alternatives:

1. Fitting the internal vents and then drilling vent holes in the canopy inner skin outside of the rubber seal, allowing cockpit air to exhaust through the canopy/body joint, or

2. Drilling a hole in the top rear corner of each side window and bonding a baffle to the back to stop water ingress.

I think I am personally going to go with the latter as I can always make up another pair of windows if it doesn't work. Plus I would have to cut slots in my pristine headliner which I am not keen to do!

A slight variation on (1) would be to chamfer the inside edge of the side windows along the trailing edge, and allow air to exhaust between the window and the window mounting flange. This is only something you can do with plastic windows, obviously, and unless you have access to a milling machine the chamfer doesn't look so good (as me how I know)...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hmm... I was actually looking for those photos of the early extractor vents on the canopy to no avail today (anyone have a link)? The problem with removing or having a movable rear window is this: engine noise. A lot of it. And, due to the aerodynamics, stuff flys back in from behind. Ask how I know...

On one of my cars I had installed 4 auxiliary vents, two on either side of the dashboard on the body side underneath, and two behind the seats about mid height. The front ones were hooked to hoses that met up with the nostrils in the bonnet, forming a rough 'ram air' setup. The rearmost 2 were simply dumped to the outside of the body via a short hose. And really didn't need those.. but the upshoot was that, when the windows were closed and I was moving, enough air was flowing from front to back to keep me reasonably comfortable. It wasn't perfect, of course. I'm thinking two of those larger pressure relief vents on a production car that hide in the bodywork (on pickup trucks they sit right behind the cab - might be something similar in the UK) that have a one-way rubber flap that lets pressurized air out, but no water in.

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    Hmm... I was actually looking for those photos of the early extractor vents on the canopy to no avail today (anyone have a link)?
    Hi Rick - I had some pictures of my sunroof canopy vent depressions and the vents I got for them linked to Photobucket but they were all lost I'm afraid. However, I can tell you where the vents were sourced - after a lengthy discussion with Richard Oakes, he remembered that the vents came from a Mk1 Ford Granada saloon (not the coupe). There are four plastic vent grilles in total, 2 on each side of the rear screen. In the Nova, two of the vents were fitted into the inner skin each side of the interior handle that operates the lock at the back of the canopy. These allow the air into the space between the inner and outer skin. They have to be above the lowest point on the inner skin otherwise they can let rainwater in. The outer skin moulding had two long depressions moulded in at the factory, with the outline of the cutout impressed into the mould. This depression allowed the vents to fit flush with the canopy surface and allow the air out of the cabin while any rainwater runs down the inside of the canopy skin and exits through drain holes.

I found a seller on ebay who was breaking a Mk1 Granada and bought all 4 air vents.

I will see if I can recover the pictures from my archive and re-post.

Lauren

I vaguely remember that, Lauren. We're actually thinking of re-incorporating a venting system like that with the relaunch of the Sterling in the coming months. It seems a simple thing to do, especially if the interior vents can be "sealed" (closed) in the winter months to keep what precious little warmth there is in the car!

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    We're actually thinking of re-incorporating a venting system like that with the relaunch of the Sterling in the coming months. It seems a simple thing to do, especially if the interior vents can be "sealed" (closed) in the winter months to keep what precious little warmth there is in the car!
    That sounds exactly like the Lamborghini Miura set-up - there was a central "spine" running along the roof (which famously housed the overhead switches at the front), which had a "hit and miss" vent (one where you slide a slotted plate over the other to reveal, or hide, the corresponding fixed slots) which connected to the exhaust vents on the roof just ahead of the rear clamshell.

I think the only problem with this type of vent for the Nova/Sterling is the position of the interior vents that allow a sunroof to be fitted. Maybe some long thin demister style vents with an on/off control flap?

That said, unless you are driving in the depths of Winter I am not sure you would even notice a drop in cabin temperature due to the air extractors.

Lauren

Maybe, Lauren. Typically we don't have sunroof's fitted over here. It's just not done for some reason. With the company reboot, we do plan on introducing (re-introducing) the T-top option. The central spine is still retained, so there would be room for some small thin vents.

Sounds good to me

Yes, it's curious how glass sunroofs are more of a UK thing (they weren't that popular even in Europe). I think they only caught on in this country because back in the '80s nobody could afford air conditioning (and the climate is generally cool anyway) so a car with a glass sunroof would have been the envy of everyone in the street!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Sounds good to me

Yes, it's curious how glass sunroofs are more of a UK thing (they weren't that popular even in Europe). I think they only caught on in this country because back in the '80s nobody could afford air conditioning (and the climate is generally cool anyway) so a car with a glass sunroof would have been the envy of everyone in the street!
    .... not to mention the age old recurring discussion about sunroofs as a means of escape if the roof lifting mechanism fails.

Not wishing to start yet another discussion on means of escape, but don't you guys in Sterlings, Eurekas, etc, ever get stuck inside?

Alistair