Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Hood/Bonnet Hinge

  1. #1
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    Posts
    244

    Hood/Bonnet Hinge

    Been working on this a little at a time but now that the hood/Bonnet is getting closer to being finished work on this has picked up.

    This is nothing more than the canopy lifting hinge reversed. the long arm is in the front and the short arm is in the back now.

    It was just getting the length of the arms figured out and the location of the pivot points that took some time.

    This hinge lifts the Bonnet/Hood up level and moving it forward to clear the open canopy and once clear of the canopy it flips the bonnet/hood open.

    Thats the plan. Early testing showed that it would work. Mounting brackets will be changed to fit the car
    P6160001.jpg
    P6160002.jpg
    P6160003.jpg
    P6160004.jpg
    P6160005.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Concord, Ca
    Posts
    1,407
    BMW hinges?
    Thanks,

    Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

  3. #3
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    ......

    This hinge lifts the Bonnet/Hood up level and moving it forward to clear the open canopy and once clear of the canopy it flips the bonnet/hood open.

    .......
    Hi Brett,

    This is really impressive, especially getting around the open canopy issue.

    I don't know if you saw Jim's story about his accident on the way to Stoneleigh at the beginning of May .... his bonnet (which was hinged at the rear) flipped open and backwards, smashing his windscreen and blocking his view whilst travelling at speed.

    I'm not suggesting that you change your design because of that, but just wanted to mention it in case you didn't see his story, and suggest you make sure the locking mechanism at the leading edge of the bonnet/hood is absolutely secure.

    After all the time and effort you've put into your bonnet/hood, it would be awful to see it (and your windscreen!) damaged in the same way as Jim's.

    All the best, Alistair

  4. #4
    Looks good, I was looking at trunk hinges last month and that is very much what some have. I have a BMW E30 and the hood hinge is a solid way to look at that problem with the advantage of being able to increase the forward movement without height and securing firmly at the rear.
    I cheat when doing that stuff and use erector kit (Meccano) or Fischertechnik, even lollipop sticks. Never was too good at geometry. (maths, algebra, etc etc ).



    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    BMW hinges?
    The hinges that pivot in the front??

    I have looked into those but I don't think the hood/bonnet would move far enough forward to clear the canopy when its open, but I could be wrong. It just looked like this design would work out better.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

    I don't know if you saw Jim's story about his accident on the way to Stoneleigh at the beginning of May .... his bonnet (which was hinged at the rear) flipped open and backwards, smashing his windscreen and blocking his view whilst travelling at speed.

    I'm not suggesting that you change your design because of that, but just wanted to mention it in case you didn't see his story, and suggest you make sure the locking mechanism at the leading edge of the bonnet/hood is absolutely secure.

    After all the time and effort you've put into your bonnet/hood, it would be awful to see it (and your windscreen!) damaged in the same way as Jim's.

    All the best, Alistair
    Yes I did see that post, thanks

    The latch that I will be installing will have the same safety features as oem cars. That is it will have a second catch.

    Supplies have been ordered to build the mold/mould. Found a place on the web with some low prices on resin. We'll see if its junk when it gets here.

  6. #6
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yes I did see that post, thanks

    The latch that I will be installing will have the same safety features as oem cars. That is it will have a second catch.

    Supplies have been ordered to build the mold/mould. Found a place on the web with some low prices on resin. We'll see if its junk when it gets here.
    Hi Brett,

    That's great. I must admit that when I saw James's thread (and the photo of his smashed windscreen in Complete Kit Car) I decided that when I get to that stage of my resto, the bonnet/hood would have to be hinged (in the conventional sense) at the leading edge. However, that means that it could only be opened when the roof is down .... but to avoid a smashed windscreen that seemed like a fair compromise.

    Anyway, I really like your design, and as long as it could be secured at the leading edge (most production cars are like that anyway!) it seems like the ideal solution.

    All the best, Alistair

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The hinges that pivot in the front??

    I have looked into those but I don't think the hood/bonnet would move far enough forward to clear the canopy when its open, but I could be wrong. It just looked like this design would work out better.
    Forgot to mention that with the bonnet/hood tilted foreword in that setup that also requires that you have to lean over the sides to have access, and with the canopy open,......well for me that makes to many things to work around to have access to the area.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,246
    Ah, I think I understand now - you are effectively moving the rotation axis of the bonnet/hood up and forward, the that the full open bonnet/hood misses the open canopy? Nice idea, sort of reminds me of my Baccaruda hood hinges.

    I did consider the BMW approach once, and came up with a geometry that would have allowed the bonnet/hood to miss the open canopy, but as there is no room for luggage and only the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs under there I decided not to bother in the end...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  10. #10
    Check your clearances Brett. I think the canopy will hit the hood based on that second photo if the hinge mount is at the top of the well opening.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •