Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hood/Bonnet Hinge

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Brett, is the hinge recessed mounting section bonded in (glue) or fibreglassed in?

Looks neat
    The part is bonded in place with evercoat #815 panel adhesive. As soon as temperatures get a little warmer I'll add a few layers of glass to finish the install

PC030010.jpg

PC030011.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

It looks a very neat solution for the bonnet, but even if the bonnet has to move forward after this point, I think at 70mph if the wind got underneath, it is still likely to force it up as the air would be going underneath into the compartment - what sort of latch will you be using?
    Last edited by MartinB; 04-12-2019 at 07:27 AM.

The part is bonded in place with evercoat #815 panel adhesive. As soon as temperatures get a little warmer I'll add a few layers of glass to finish the install

PC030010.jpg

PC030011.jpg

Very neat way to overcome the not so flat surface of the Nova body's for a hinge install

A very nice solution for the hing location.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    but even if the bonnet has to move forward after this point, I think at 70mph if the wind got underneath, it is still likely to force it up as the air would be going underneath into the compartment - what sort of latch will you be using?
    I'll keep that in mind when I do my release the bonnet latch test at 70mph. (that was a joke )

2011 Chevy Aveo. I found the same style in numerous Suzuki vehicles also.
    Release Cable exits on the correct side and the release lever for the secondary catch is located in the correct position
    PC040011.jpg

PC040012.jpg

PC040013.jpg

PC040014.jpg

I'll keep that in mind when I do my release the bonnet latch test at 70mph. (that was a joke )
    `¬)

That catch looks just the job, using a 'proper' catch is the secret I think, as then you get the secondary catch if its unlatched

Blog Entries
    The additional hand-operated release hook/latch is a good idea, the more protection against bonnet-flip the better.

If you fail to lock the front compartment, it will flip when you reach ~30mph (ask me how I know...)
    and a sturdy set of hinges would probably cope with that.

If your locking system fails when you are bombing down the motorway at 70mph, a bonnet flip would exert huge forces against anything that tries to stop it.
    One thought on managing this would be to have plastic bolts on the hinges,
    i.e. a deliberate weak point.
    So at 70mph the bonnet would detach and hit the road behind you, or hit the vehicle behind you (less likely).

The above sounds drastic, but a bonnet flip will cost you at least GBP £1k, plus ~30 hours work repairing fibreglass & re-painting, 8-10 weeks waiting for the new windscreen glass, plus the perils of being in the fast lane of the motorway with most of your visibility obscured by a flipped-up panel; very dangerous.

You can have your thread back now Brett.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

If your locking system fails when you are bombing down the motorway at 70mph, a bonnet flip would exert huge forces against anything that tries to stop it.

One thought on managing this would be to have plastic bolts on the hinges,
    i.e. a deliberate weak point. So at 70mph the bonnet would detach and hit the road behind you, or hit the vehicle behind you (less likely).
    Brett

If you haven't read Jim's experience from May this year, see ... http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...oject-!/page27 .... but having said that, your bonnet catch looks pretty robust!!

Alistair