Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hood/Bonnet Hinge

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looks like a neat solution.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Yes, I like that muchly
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

After a few prototypes this is what I ended up with.

The area where its to be mounted will be cut out and a fiberglass insert will be made with all mounting points built into it and that will be installed in the cutout opening.

Still trying to decide if I should use gas struts to hold the hood/bonnet open or just use a rod

PB120007.jpg

PB120008.jpg

PB120009.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    A nice bit of engineering, My engine lid just uses a rod, but the bonnet lid uses friction hinges which obviously stay open themselves but do not open themselves. I did try using gas rams, but the fiberglass on the Avante is less substantial than the Nova and pushed the outer edges up when closed.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    A nice bit of engineering

Dirk
    Thanks

Just wanted something that looked like some thought was put into it and not something that looked like it was just all tossed together with bits and pieces.

Since its getting cooler outside around here I'm starting to get to my "Honey Do" list so this may take longer than expected to finish.

This should be the final post for this modification. All thats left to do now is install the latch and the gas struts

Well,,, it didn't turn out as nice as I had hoped.
    I got the pivot points wrong and the length of the arms wrong, but if done right this setup would open the front hood/bonnet and have it clear the canopy while the canopy is in the open position.

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I got the pivot points wrong and the length of the arms wrong, but if done right this setup would open the front hood/bonnet and have it clear the canopy while the canopy is in the open position.
    Why do you say you got it wrong, the photos show it opening and not fouling the canopy?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Why do you say you got it wrong, the photos show it opening and not fouling the canopy?
    Looks pretty good to me too Brett ... were you intending the bonnet opening to be wider, or isn't your canopy sitting fully open?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Looks pretty good to me too Brett ... were you intending the bonnet opening to be wider, or isn't your canopy sitting fully open?

The canopy is fully open and yes I was hoping for the bonnet to open more, but one detail I wasn't sure about was how low the hinge mount would have to be positioned for the hinge assembly to allow the bonnet to be flush with the body lines.

One good thing about this setup is (a concern for some) when driving down the road if the bonnets latch is not secure it is next to impossible for the bonnet to fly open because the bonnet has to lift up and move forward before it will be in the open position and when driving down the road the wind would stop that from happening

PC030007.jpg

PC030008.jpg

Brett, is the hinge recessed mounting section bonded in (glue) or fibreglassed in?

Looks neat