Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Alfa Trackday, Goodwood

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Classic Alfa Trackday, Goodwood

So, what better way to ease myself back into the show circuit than a spot of spectating at Goodwood. Unfortunately the weather on Saturday had other ideas and it poured down for the whole journey there. Still, on the plus side, it did act as a good test of my new heater/demister set-up, and I have to acknowledge that it did cope... just. Also, the side windows stayed clear of misting, not sure if that was due to the side window demisters, or the 50mm vent holes in the top corner, or both. I do know that the vents work well as extractors, as for the first time I am getting ram-air cooling through the face vents. No fan assistance necessary!

Fortunately the rain eased off by the time I got to Goodwood, and was able to join in the parade lap (2 laps of the circuit behind a course car) and park in a prominent position in the pit area. The rain (mostly) held off for the rest of the afternoon too, although it stayed pretty murky. I have ordered a set of professional prints of the Green Machine taken at the exit of the chicane, but in the meantime here is the evidence that I was there...

Yesterday I went to the Deer's Hut classic car event near Liphook, but that is another story...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

It's great to see your car back on the road, and you must be really pleased to be driving it again? Pity the weather wasn't any better, but as you say, a good test of the demist system.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your car
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    That's an excellent start back on the road Lauren ... great inspiration for the rest of us to push on with our builds!

She looks stunning in both photos .... I'm really looking forward to seeing the professional prints of the Green Machine exiting the chicane! I predict they'll be worthy of the 2020 Calendar!!

Alistair

Looking great and I’m sure you were smiling ear to ear despite the rain.

So did the two holes in the windows allow water ingress?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    It sits very nicely on its wheels, it must be quite a feeling being back on the road after such a long rebuild. Good to see another car back in business; Well done.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    The car looks gorgeous, a testament to all your hard work and attention to detail!

LOVE IT! Such a gorgeous car and a lot of hidden features that we know of that have gone into making it what it is, well done.

I would have imagined there must have been a few, "What sort of Alfa is that?" remarks.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Looking great and I’m sure you were smiling ear to ear despite the rain.

So did the two holes in the windows allow water ingress?
    Thanks Dave - surprisingly little water ingress, as it turns out, although I probably wouldn't want to leave the car out in the rain all night. The surface area is pretty small so not much rainfall enters directly, and in my case there is a shelf immediately inside which allows the water to drain through into the battery compartment (or pump room, depending on which side of the car it is), rather than directly onto the carpet...

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    It sits very nicely on its wheels, it must be quite a feeling being back on the road after such a long rebuild. Good to see another car back in business; Well done.
    Thanks Steve, it is good to be back. Still a few more jobs to do before I can really pile on the miles, but at least I don't have to take the car off the road to do them

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    The car looks gorgeous, a testament to all your hard work and attention to detail!
    Thanks Martin - it looks a bit rougher on close inspection, but as a "twenty-footer" it does the business!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    LOVE IT! Such a gorgeous car and a lot of hidden features that we know of that have gone into making it what it is, well done.

I would have imagined there must have been a few, "What sort of Alfa is that?" remarks.
    Most of the Classic Alfa guys have seen the car before, but yes, there were a lot of blank looks at the Deers Hut show, although the Nova script on the steering wheel was doing the job, the journalist from the Haslemere Herald asked if I was the owner of the green Nova and I said yes, and well done for identifying it as a Nova - he said he read it on the steering wheel! So I am going to be in the local rag it seems...

Great to see another show visit!

I also wondered the same as Dave if water gets in through the holes in the side windows but you've answered that one. Have you ever considered making vents in the sides of the rear window tunnel? I have wondered if that would work. If so then certainly no water would get in. Has anyone cut a hole here and seen if they get ram air with all other things (canopy, windows, sunroof etc.) closed?

The black sections on top of the light covers look cool.

I'm sure when you parade around the paddock and on this ocassion the track, people must wonder "What kind of Alfa Romeo is that? I thought I knew my Alfa's but I'll be damned if I know that one!". I'm not actually sure how you get away with it. Isn't the engine and gearbox the only component you have that's Alfa Romeo? I have the engine as you know and seat belts of all things. They are off the 164. I think I would feel a bit sheepish parading around the track on an Alfa day. A bit like getting into a Goodwood Supercar Breakfast Morning in a nova!

G