Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 914 engine for sale on Ebay

914 engine for sale on Ebay

I quite fancy this - but it's missing some tinware, cooling fan and fuel injection:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...32aa%7Ciid%3A1

I presume it could be set up to run using twin carbs but not sure how easy it would be to source the missing parts or even fabricate parts?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Phill,

I can understand why you're attracted to it. You could strip it right back and rebuild it at your leisure, whilst keeping your Nova on the road. However, it risks possibly turning out to be an expensive rebuild.

Another option would be to enjoy driving your Nova over the summer, and then take her off the road for the Winter and 'simply' increase your 1300cc to a 1776cc with a big bore kit, external oil cooler, and the help of a engineering firm to machine both the crankcase and the cylinder heads. Other firms are available but here's an example ....

https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Sho...le_Forged.html

My engine came with a 1776cc Mahle big bore kit already fitted and I was told it was originally a 1300cc. The web link above also states that you can use a 1300cc engine as a base.

I suspect it would be easier to plan and control costs by going down that route. Admittedly though, having a 'Porsche powered Nova' does sound a lot better than having a 'Beetle powered Nova' .... even if it's got a half decent cc!!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I already have 1 1/2 Type 4 engines, but if I didn't, I'd be hoovering up all 3 lumps for cash (he has 3 for sale).

I actually have some spare tinware and twin carb mounts which I probably won't need,
    BUT I don't know what's available until I sort out my own install.

If you are prepared to play the long game, bid on the engine, and we'll chat later in the year about tinware.

carbs would probably be the way to go; I needed to rplace a lot of sensors on mine (type 4) and it took a very very long time to find replacements for some of them - the control box is also dificult to find, although eventually I found someone having a clear out who had several, but if you go Fuel injection it will be a long process sourcing working parts!

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...nd-sounds-like

The type 4 1700 engine is supposed to put out 70 bhp. Is that because of the fuel injection? Would a modified (enlarged) Beetle engine using twin carbs match a type 4 on carbs for power? Parts availability for the type one are easy to come by whereas type 4 parts are rare. The attraction of the type 4 is it's increased power, how easy is it to build a type one with similar output?

Blog Entries
    I did some research on T1 vs T4 prior to going the T4 route.
    The 70 BHP output you mentioned is ~not due to Fuel Injection.
    Fuel Injection gives more Torque through the rev range, better MPG, better emissions, better starting. Not necessarily higher top end BHP.

>> Would a modified (enlarged) Beetle engine using twin carbs match a type 4 on carbs for power?

My 1700 T1 lump (Twin 34 ICT Webers) produced 82BHP at the wheel, so yes. That was at the expense of low & mid-range torque though.

>> Parts availability for the type one are easy to come by whereas type 4 parts are rare.

Yes, but you can change your approach by hoovering up parts as they appear online.
    Agree that parts are pricey.

>> The attraction of the type 4 is it's increased power,

hmm Yeah, you can say that because you'd have to tune a T1 1600 lump to give 70 BHP, whereas with a T4 1700, it produces 70BHP out of the box.
    You could also argue that the T4 replaced the T1 and is a superior lump by design, proper oil filter, beefed up internals.
    The T4 can be tuned to a higher lever than the T1, 300+ BHP apparently, however you would have to re-mortgage your house to pay for the upgrade parts.

>> how easy is it to build a type one with similar output?

Difficult for me, easy enough for you..

A downside of the Type 4, is that it is heavy, especially with the Heat exchangers in place. The stock set-up has a brace bar at the rear to provide additional support for the lump. most Nova owners probably wouldn't include that in the build.

Also the fan housing of the T4 extends out further (back) that the T1, that will probably require some 'fine tuning' of the rear panel. You can obtain upright fan shrouds for the T4 to aleviate this, but again that is extra cost.

If you are going down the VW OEM JetTronic Fuel injection route, that system was brilliant in 1978, but you'd have to question the reliability of 40 YO electronic parts today,
    One cold dark night you'll likely pay the price.. (Pretty sure Martin will tell me off for that)

Having said all that, I am a T4 fan, and I have a 2000cc GE code lump sitting in the garage,
    what attracted me was (personal preference) moving away from a Beetle engine, and the Torquey power band.

Subaru Boxer, cheap, powerful and lots of aftermarket parts / tuning if you want silly power........they also don't tend to self-destruct like the aircooled stuff when reved hard! (ask me how I know...)just saying

Blog Entries
    Nobody doubts the Scooby lump, but it's a pretty drastic conversion for a car that has only just got on the road,
    anyway sounds like Phill has made his decision - it's air-cooled all the way man!

Also Phill has a rev-limiter (warning light) on his Nova,
    so he's unlikely to be (ahem) doing burn-outs at 6000rpm in second gear

You're right Steve - I'm an air cooled fan (cough)..

Seriously though - I do prefer the air cooled engines and the fact there's no extra plumbing required to cool them, that and the fact that VW engines have Porsche DNA appeals to me.

I already have a set of 1600cc pistons and barrels ready to bolt onto my engine - I just need a pair of suitable heads to complete the upgrade.

I'm not brave enough to drive a Nova with too much power, even a well sorted 1300 TP Beetle engine is almost enough to satisfy me...

After my 'normal' 1600 T1 died due to ingress I looked at several options and taking into account power to weight ratio etc and what I expected to be doing on a daily basis I decided 100 BHP was enough without sacrificing reliability but that came at a price of over 2,000€ on internals plus upgrading the DRLA 36 to 44s and a LOT of physical effort (and a dead Dremal) porting the new big valve 044 heads.

So as a 1641cc A&A kit was the largest without engineering needed I went for that, but also worked out that to get near the 100BHP I would need to 'upgrade' the internals for performance stuff in order to stay well with the reliability band at higher RPM..

One thing led to another but I am confident I now have a bullet proof motor with high performance capabilities (If I choose to use it).

To save space I give the link to my engine page.
    https://ukhozi.page.tl/Engine.htm
    Last edited by Peter; 26-06-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl