Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road going Nova for sale

It's very difficult to put a value on these cars. They're worth whatever someone is prepared to pay. When I insured my car this I was asked it's value and said it was worth £6,000. However since then I am seeing Beach Buggies being sold for higher prices and I think a well restored Nova in fully running order is surely worth more than that.

I realise you probably want to get rid of the lot as a job lot, but suspect you could get more by selling the car and spares seperately. As Dirk suggested - try putting it on ebay with a £6000 reserve and see how you get on
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Hi,

I would have said yours is worth more than 6k for insurance Phil-
    when I put mine on 'classiccarsforsale' website (when I thought i had to sell it earlier this year)
    I optimistically put it up for £7250- it was before I sprayed it and I got interest!

I seem to remember maybe 12 years ago that on a Lotus forum someone was writing how
    early Esprits were seriously undervalued at a few thousand. It was commented back jokingly that because there were so few around, if when those owners wanted to sell they asked 50k that would be the
    going rate for them! They now are...

Comparing it to an early Lotus, built in small numbers with a gorgeous engine, sharp design, etc. This would be like an early NOVA build, receipts for the kit, with a Porsche engine [356, 914 etc], twin carbs, Nova wheels, the original VW green logbook for the chassis, an old 70s V5 showing the engine number of the Porsche lump back in the day. All period 70s fittings, nice body a few cracks here and there but presentable. Not run for 25 years, lets say. I could see that selling for £15K as a project.

If you want a Nova, really want one, grab one, they don't grow on trees and each and every one will have faults, not to taste, etc but that's the beauty of them, you can change them to what you want. Fudge about waiting until the 'perfect one' to pop up and you will still looking in x years time. You could always buy a new one from Poly Creations, starts at about 6K for basic parts plus chassis, running gear, engine, wheels, tyres, trim and paint. about 10K and a lot of work and only a 20% chance of it ever being finished.
    Last edited by Peter; 22-08-2019 at 01:21 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I bought my car as a project more than 10 years ago. I paid £500 for it which was a bargain even back then. It had a V5, all the body panels, screen and alloy wheels, floorpan and Transaxle. What was missing was all the interior, and the engine. I'm really glad I bought it when I did as I realised even then that these weren't coming up that often. It lay untouched for many years before I finally got arround to restoring it and by then had become a running joke amongst family and friends. Phill's folly that would never get built. But I never gave up on the dream. For anyone thinking about buying a Nova grab what you can even if you're not in a position to do the work straight away.

When an untouched Nova deluxe kit (all the bits included) came up for sale about 10+ ago I jumped at it immediately to save it. Partly as I had heard shortly before that the last Nova molds had been burnt by the person storing them due to non payment of storage fees. I had no plans for the kit as I was still working on finishing my first one. So it went into storage. Roll forward 10 years+ and I am so Glad I did, as if I waited till I was ready to do another I wouldn’t have found one, Morale of the storage, buy first, work out the details later.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    When an untouched Nova deluxe kit (all the bits included) came up for sale about 10+ ago I jumped at it immediately to save it. Partly as I had heard shortly before that the last Nova molds had been burnt by the person storing them due to non payment of storage fees. I had no plans for the kit as I was still working on finishing my first one. So it went into storage. Roll forward 10 years+ and I am so Glad I did, as if I waited till I was ready to do another I wouldn’t have found one, Morale of the storage, buy first, work out the details later.
    Yes you got yourself a bargain there - if I remember rightly it also included an engine wheels and exhaust? I nearly bought it too but you beat me to it and my wife would have probably left me if I'd bought another..

Mind you I still have a complete set of spare body panels which I may one day put to good use if the values of Novas Rocket..

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Yes you got yourself a bargain there - if I remember rightly it also included an engine wheels and exhaust? I nearly bought it too but you beat me to it and my wife would have probably left me if I'd bought another..

Mind you I still have a complete set of spare body panels which I may one day put to good use if the values of Novas Rocket..
    Yes got it in one, it had everything virtually to finish a stock Nova as intended in 1981 (engine, wheels, seats, tires, gauges, exhaust etc... ) Other than the body I’m probably going to sell off everything at some point

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Fudge about waiting until the 'perfect one' to pop up and you will still looking in x years time.
    Hang on a bit Peter. It has only been a year and 3 months!!!

There have been 4 for sale in that time, including this, that were close, including the "perfect" one I missed.

Talking about Unicorns, the one I would really like is a Gryff, the Swiss Nova. Does one still exist? Has anyone seen one? Phill & Islandman, have you seen that VW chassis posted today in the ebay section?
    One very important thing is to get a V5 with the right details (ie NOVA} on it, for each body you have in store. It can only get more difficult.

My understanding of the current rules are that you can still get away with re-bodying a standard Beetle and it is still road legal. Complications arise when you modify the floorpan (e.g lowering it or in the case of a beach buggy - shortening it). So a Nova today can still be built using a standard VW Beetle floorpan. If you look at the Buggy scene there a quite a few cars still registered as VW Beetles. It's only the ones with shortened Floorpans that have issues with registration. You would still need to get an MOT though since this would be deemed a major modification that has happened within the last 30 years.