Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Nova Body for sale £900 (North Scotland)

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Back in the 80's there was a series of articles in one of the Kit car magazines called "Pipes dream". Mike Pipe (I think was his name) built a VW based mid engine Kit Car called a Montage using a Ford Pinto engine. The transaxle was turned around and the floorpan modified. I wish I had kept those series of articles as the work he did could just as easily have been applied to a Nova
    I remember this also, it was Kit Car Magazine around ~1981.
    I actually saw the car in the flesh at a show back then.
    The guy's name was Alexander Pipe IIRC.

Mike 'the' Pipe was a custom exhaust builder who advertised in various Kit magazines back in the day, he was in my neck of the woods (Wallington / Carshalton, Surrey).

Evening Gents.

Gaisa,
    will happily start a build thread, but as mentioned this will not be until i have completed other projects.

John90,
    having built and supported formulae Vee i can certainly see the attraction, but really not well suited to the Nova dimensions and vehicle architecture.

Peter,
    gear linkage is actually straight forward but not my intent to go this route for this build.

With regards to mid engine sportscars, i have had the pleasure of designing and refining quite a few over the years. Still love them, especially the handling benefits inherent from the layout.

Steve,
    i know what you mean....they are all needy but we still love them.
    Got to say, do love your mk1 build, alot of effort and time invested and some really nice touches.

For some the Sterling chassis would be ideal, and although the price can be prohibitive it maybe there only realistic option.
    However i am in the fortunate position that my background is whole vehicle design, development and production manufacture.

Phil.
    I remember the M6 Manta Montage from back in the day but was never a fan myself.
    Did not see the benefit of the Pinto conversion, plenty of better engine options even then for the amount of effort invested, but to each there own.

Stuart

Hi Lauren.

For me the engineering was sound but the engine was not the right choice, too heavy for power density it offered.
    The later bespoke chassis was certainly in the right direction.

No apologies needed for hijacking.

The design intent is a full space frame with stressed skin main tub and tubular sub frames for engine and suspension modules. Unequal length Double wishbone suspension with inboard struts.

Powertrain.
    Well my Daughter wants it to be Hybrid selectable AWD with transverse range extending engine.
    But got to look at packaging of the front drive unit before I commit.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Gaisa,
    will happily start a build thread, but as mentioned this will not be until i have completed other projects.

Stuart
    Cheers!
    I look forward to it when it comes

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    The design intent is a full space frame with stressed skin main tub and tubular sub frames for engine and suspension modules. Unequal length Double wishbone suspension with inboard struts.

Powertrain.
    Well my Daughter wants it to be Hybrid selectable AWD with transverse range extending engine.
    But got to look at packaging of the front drive unit before I commit.
    I'm liking the sound of that! But space is at a premium under the bonnet, not much room for a front mounted electric motor, once you have found room for the steering rack and inboard coil-overs. But it sounds like you have some relevant experience, unlike us rank amateurs!

I have personally always thought the Nova could have benefited from being a full fibreglass monocoque, as the body is very thick in specific areas to brace the VW floorpan. All it needed was the floor and sills to be laid up in one piece and then bonded to the upper body tub. Front and rear tubular subframes to carry the engine and suspension, job done

Such a car could have genuinely tipped the scales at around 600-650 kg I reckon, a real rocket ship with the right engine. I thought that with such a long career designing full monocoque chassis for kit cars (Midas, GTM Rossa, Pimlico HT etc.) Richard Oakes would see the potential of a monocoque Nova, but when I talked to him about it he wasn't interested...

Anyway, good luck with your plans, they sound very ambitious but you seem to have the skills to pull it off.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Well after a very long day, 550 miles and too much coffee it is home.

An original unmolested full shell and panel set, bought new by the seller from the factory but never built.

The Seller was an absolute gent and is even digging out the original paperwork, how cool is that.

Happy is an understatement.

Stuart

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

An original unmolested full shell and panel set, bought new by the seller from the factory but never built.

The Seller was an absolute gent and is even digging out the original paperwork, how cool is that.

Stuart

Well done mate! Unmolested shell? what a bonus!

Stuart
    Stuart, that's pure dead brilliant, so it is!!

Giving myself a wee pat on the back for finding the advert for you ... and really looking forward to seeing your progress once you get round to it, and meeting up in the not too distant!

In the meantime, gonna take a few photos tomorrow and upload them to a new thread in the 'Your Cars' section?

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 14-09-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Stuart

I think now it's time to share some photos

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk