Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Nova Body for sale £900 (North Scotland)

Damn, missed another one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Incidentally I will not be using a Pie Chassis but will be building my own.
    Stuart
    Stuart, when you do start your project, would you please share your build and plans for your new chassis when its available? I like the Pie Valley chassis concept myself, but I and others would love to see what you create and maybe you'll incite others to follow through with similar concepts in the future.
    Gaisa

It would be interesting to build your own chassis, and to mount the VW engine the other way round, gearbox sticking out of the rear to get proper mid engined setup like Formula Vee cars do. Has anyone done that with a Nova?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Stuart, Looks like you have a bargain, and the spec of the new car sounds amazing, but tread carefully; the Nova is a needy mistress, getting one of these cars on the road, even in basic form, is a real challenge, and the more ‘off-piste’ you go with the design, the tougher it is.

If the Pie Valley chassis isn’t to your tastes, why not wait to see what the guys at sterlingsportscars.com/ come up with Chassis-wise? There is talk of a new chassis and it might be more suitable for the build you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Stuart, Looks like you have a bargain, and the spec of the new car sounds amazing, but tread carefully; the Nova is a needy mistress, getting one of these cars on the road, even in basic form, is a real challenge, and the more ‘off-piste’ you go with the design, the tougher it is.

If the Pie Valley chassis isn’t to your tastes, why not wait to see what the guys at sterlingsportscars.com/ come up with Chassis-wise? There is talk of a new chassis and it might be more suitable for the build you have in mind.
    I think the shipping, VAT and import duty will kill that idea, one good reason I don't buy from the states any more since eBay's 'global shipping rip off that can double the price of an item. Be like getting a Noreca Moon GT from Malaysia, over a grand just ship.

I would put any idea of building a mid engine super car firmly aside, it will never see the road as costs and problems kill it as it has so any in the past, Spacenut aside, but she is persistent and used an Allfa, set up.

Ignore know all gits like me who are hypercritical and have spent years and thousands on their static cars

Get a basically standard set up built, (as I did 95 to 99) then customise it and enjoy driving it,
    Last edited by Peter; 07-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by John90 View Post
    It would be interesting to build your own chassis, and to mount the VW engine the other way round, gearbox sticking out of the rear to get proper mid engined setup like Formula Vee cars do. Has anyone done that with a Nova?
    Just think of he gear linkage alone not to mention the rear bulkhead.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by John90 View Post
    Back in the 80's there was a series of articles in one of the Kit car magazines called "Pipes dream". Mike Pipe (I think was his name) built a VW based mid engine Kit Car called a Montage using a Ford Pinto engine. The transaxle was turned around and the floorpan modified. I wish I had kept those series of articles as the work he did could just as easily have been applied to a Nova
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    That rings a bell with me too Phill, but like you I've only kept mags with articles specifically about the Nova.

Love the new avatar by the way! ... not that there was anything wrong with the old one

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think the shipping, VAT and import duty will kill that idea, one good reason I don't buy from the states any more since eBay's 'global shipping rip off that can double the price of an item. Be like getting a Noreca Moon GT from Malaysia, over a grand just ship.

I would put any idea of building a mid engine super car firmly aside, it will never see the road as costs and problems kill it as it has so any in the past, Spacenut aside, but she is persistent and used an Allfa, set up.

[…]

Such a build is difficult, but not impossible for someone with the time, money, facilities (e.g. garage/storage/tools), and the right skills (e.g. design & fabrication), and persistence as you suggest.

However not many people can tick all those boxes, so yeah a lot of cars never get built.

But for all you know, the OP may have those skills in abundance - he certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt from this supportive forum.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Back in the 80's there was a series of articles in one of the Kit car magazines called "Pipes dream". Mike Pipe (I think was his name) built a VW based mid engine Kit Car called a Montage using a Ford Pinto engine. The transaxle was turned around and the floorpan modified. I wish I had kept those series of articles as the work he did could just as easily have been applied to a Nova
    That was probably the UVA Montage, an import from the US and based on the one-off McLaren M6 road car. The VW crownwheel was flipped in the gearbox casing (the basis of the Hewland gearbox as well as the FV single seaters) and the engine was laid over the top of the VW frame forks (the bit where the chassis number is stamped had to be cut out and boxed to accept the engine sump). Later cars came with a bespoke chassis designed for the Rover V8 and Renault 30 transaxle, which was probably a better way to go...

Sorry for hijacking your thread Stuart - do you have an engine and chassis design in mind? The biggest problem I have found is that the styling of the Nova leaves little room for in-line engines behind the seats (unless they are boxers of course!), but there are lots of transverse engines around these days anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing how you project progresses. Good luck!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!