Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Japan Experience and Classic cars

  1. #1

    Japan Experience and Classic cars

    I never really knew much about Japanese classic cars before (except for the obvious Datsun 260Z, but on a current trip to Japan I chanced across a historic car museum in a shopping mall with what I thought were quite nice-looking examples.

    1965 Toyota Sports 800



    1974 Toyota Celica 1600GT



    1962 Mazda Carol – Not a pretty car but the first of the “Kei Cars” to have a 4 cylinder engine. I only included myself in the shot to give a perspective on size!!



    1971 A pretty Mazda Cosmo Sport





    1969 Toyota 2000GT – One of my favorites from a styling perspective







    1966 Honda 800 – Very much like the MG’s of the day


    Lastly not Japanese, but the Messerschmitt which also featured a canopy opening (albeit on the side)

    Last edited by islandman; 13-09-2019 at 02:22 PM.

  2. #2
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,228
    Nice!

    I like the Toyota 2000 GT too ... a few echos of the E Type Jag

  3. #3
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,211
    Great selection of classic Jap cars Dave - love the S800 (boxer engine, apart from the one example that Toyota made with a 30 bhp gas turbine!!!), and it goes without saying the 2000 GT, Japan's first true supercar. Also love the Celica, although I prefer the first-generation cars with the "Daruma" front end treatment, which I think looks less conservative than the later cars. And the Cosmo, obviously

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  4. #4
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,439
    Some nice cars and like others the 2000 GT is the best of the bunch.

    Not sure that putting a giant in a photo does much for prospective though

    Dirk

  5. #5
    Senior Member bushboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grays Essex
    Posts
    2,369
    Got to love JDM sport cars. The "Mustang" Celica was released in Australia and I always wanted one but never managed it.

    The S2000 was also featured in James Bond You only live twice.

    Agree with Dirk on the perspective reference

    Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Great selection of classic Jap cars Dave - love the S800 (boxer engine, apart from the one example that Toyota made with a 30 bhp gas turbine!!!), and it goes without saying the 2000 GT, Japan's first true supercar. Also love the Celica, although I prefer the first-generation cars with the "Daruma" front end treatment, which I think looks less conservative than the later cars. And the Cosmo, obviously

    Lauren
    Hi Lauren, I am afraid I have to correct you a bit, if I am not mistaken the Honda S800 was equipped with a 8500 RPM 4 banger(inline) with 4 carburetors not unlike the CB750 bike engine, but water cooled instead of air. The predecessor of the S800 had even chain drive...
    Cheers,

    Rob

    Illegitimi non carborundum


    1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT

  7. #7
    Senior Member Phill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Livingston (Scotland)
    Posts
    1,236
    Didn't they have to cut the roof off the 2000GT to let Sean Connery fit in when they filmed you only live twice....or did I just make that up?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Didn't they have to cut the roof off the 2000GT to let Sean Connery fit in when they filmed you only live twice....or did I just make that up?
    There was a convertible version

  9. #9
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,211
    Quote Originally Posted by ReNOVAtor View Post
    Hi Lauren, I am afraid I have to correct you a bit, if I am not mistaken the Honda S800 was equipped with a 8500 RPM 4 banger(inline) with 4 carburetors not unlike the CB750 bike engine, but water cooled instead of air. The predecessor of the S800 had even chain drive...
    Quite correct - I was talking about the Toyota Sports 800 though.

    As you say, the Honda engine was built very much along motorbike principles, with roller bearings for the crank and cams. That and the single choke per cylinder carburation meant the engine could rev to 9,000 rpm. I've seen a few videos on Youtube and it sounds absolutely incredible - although probably only doing 50mph...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  10. #10
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,211
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    There was a convertible version
    Toyota made at least 2 open cars - one for the film, and one for publicity purposes. I think there may have been a 3rd but not sure. I say "open" because they had no form of hood and Toyota did not propose series production.

    Plenty of product placement in the Bond film, I think the baddies drive a Toyota Crown
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •