Thread: Rebuild or dump?

Hybrid View

Rebuild or dump?

Hi.
    I have a 1300 single port engine in my eagle ss. Not sure of mileage of engine.
    I got it a long time ago to replace a truly knackered 1600. Its been sat about 6 years in the dry and i attempted to get it running with some new parts this summer. It ran poorly and i traced it down to low compression on cylinder 3. With heads off and valves out, I can see an exhaust valve was getting stuck causing back firing. All of the valve guides have excessive play.

I wanted to get peoples opinions on whether i should get new guides put in and maybe new seats. Or dump the heads for 1600 twinport.
    My engine is code F and i think i would need to change quite alot to upgrade it to 1600 dp.
    Im not really interested in power upgrades. I am aiming to get on the road as soon as possible.

I have a quote to replace valve guides and grind the seats, £70 per head and i need to supply guides and valves if the vakves are bad.

Providing the engine is otherwise sound with very little end play in the crankshaft, I would probably go for new 1600 tp heads and replace the pistons and barrels. You will also need a twin port inlet manifold to suit the new heads but the end result will be a 3/4 new engine. You can offset the cost by selling the old heads
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Easiest motor going for upgrades, the 1300, 1500 and 1600 are the same studding, only the 1200 is smaller, so you can bolt a 1641cc kit on for about the same price as a standard kit and twin port heads which with decent carbs like DelLorto will give quite a increase in power and torque. In fact you can go mad and double the power from 48hp (1584cc) to over 90hp with some port work, heads and bigger valves etc. but a couple of grand needed, I know.

BUT,, on a budget I would go for new guides, not difficult to do with the tool, set of new valves IF the seats are pitted, if not grind them in, valve seats are bloody hard and a sod to change so, again, unless really bad, cut and grind. If reliability and cost is a factor you can stay with single port heads, just clean up the ports to match the manifolds. use a decent single carb or a single twin choke and manifold. Electric ignition (points replacement) is only 20 quid and a good addition too.

Take look at my engine details on my page below and see what COULD be done without engineering the cases and then see where you want to go with it.

For just under 600 you can get it all from Limebug.
    https://www.limebug.com/product/view...d-kit-040s-582

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I saw the bundle deal on machine 7, dp heads and 1600 barrels/pistons. Its about £550 and i think i would need a different oil cooler and dog house tinware.

The heads are going in for inspection hopefully next week. Engineer pretty much said its most likely guides and a seat grind.

The bottom end seems ok. I cant feel any end float. Hard to tell without pulling it apart.
    Last edited by ChrisBailey; 17-09-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Sounds like you have a good base for a not too expensive rebuild.

Thought of a remote oil cooler and fan? More efficient than a dog house and allows more air to #3 which is a common problem.
    Dybaflow 800.jpg IMG_20150715_162321.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl