Thread: Hybrid(ish) Nova?

Hybrid(ish) Nova?

Just an idea I have been mulling over for some time now, and a question for the experts.

How feasible is it to run the generator on a Beetle engine as an electric motor to assist the engine and increase the overall Horsepower? My thoughts are that a generator is simply an electric motor in reverse, so what would be required to make the generator function as a motor instead? Thereby easing the load on the engine (as it would no longer be using power to turn the fan and recharge the battery). If it's simply a case of applying a 12V electric charge to the D+ terminal on the generator to make it spin like an electric motor, then why not incorpoarate a simple switching system that stops the generator from charging the battery but takes power from the battery instead. Obviously if this is feasible it would only work in short bursts allowing the battery to re-charge in between usage.

Has anyone tried this at all or know of any reason why it would not work? If it does work, what sort of Horsepower could a generator produce when operated as a motor or would it be so neglible as to make very little difference?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    My guess if it could be done it would be negligible you would also have to find away of synchronizing the rmp to match the engine other wise they would just be working against each other and have lots of squeal.

Dirk

Assist the engine how? The pulley alone with the belt isn't enough to turn the engine or apply any additional "power". There just isn't any torque nor enough grip to do anything remotely like what you're thinking Phill, sorry. Now.. if you wanted to use the Bug motor to charge a set of batteries and have independent electric motors on each wheel, then yes, I'm all for that :-)

Probably best not to bother trying it then..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I have heard of engines that used the generator as a starter motor then switch to a generator once the engine was running. Woulf save a couple of kilos of weight.!!

If you are just after an overtaking boost of power, have you thought of NOS, 2 fast, 2 furious

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"