Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Wannabe

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
    Only problem I might have is I'm 6'4"

If I do ever get a Nova, and I need to drop the floor pans (as has been suggested) will I need to get a new IVA for it?

As the car from Holland has a valid MOT, does that mean it wouldn't need importing?

Cheers
    G
    Hi GReaper,

The DVLA website shows the 'Holland' Nova as "Export marker:Yes". I'm not exactly sure what the implications of this are and would suggest you speak to DVLA before making a commitment to buy (unless anyone else on here can clarify this??)

On the issue of your height requiring floor pan drops, you'd be best to make sure the Nova has a V5 and the floor pans were dropped more than 30 years ago.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

If I do ever get a Nova, and I need to drop the floor pans (as has been suggested) will I need to get a new IVA for it?

As the car from Holland has a valid MOT, does that mean it wouldn't need importing?

Cheers
    G
    I would suspect the floors have already been lowered but if they haven't then no you would not have to get it IVA'ed. The fact that DVLA have all the info with a current UK MOT would suggest it has never been exported or at least the paper work not filled in, so as it has not been exported it shouldn't need importing if that makes sense!!!

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hello GR, welcome to the forum

I hope you enjoy browsing the forum, there used to be a lot more pictures on the site but unfortunately Photobucket stopped 3rd party hosting and that was it for a lot of us - broken picture links everywhere

Hopefully you will be able to find a decent example of this mad car for yourself soon. The Holland car looks interesting, it's a Mk2, with what look like Mk2 Ford Granada saloon wraparound rear lights on the already oversized factory bumper bar. Not to everyone's taste, but it looks like a well-presented example. There was a dealer in Holland nicknamed "the flying Dutchman" who sold a lot of UK export kit cars. Most were still on UK plates as is this example. A few years ago Alwyn Brice bought his Nova from the flying Dutchman (which was also a recent export from the UK), re-imported it back to the UK and had it fully restored. If you Google "green Nova kit car" it is the first one that comes up on the list.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

One of the pictures of the Dutch car currently up for sale show that it has been lowered. And being a series two it has a couple of inches extra headroom built into the bodywork (an inch was added to the roof - and a further inch was added to the height of the body where it bolts onto the floorpan).
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Ditto....also 6' 4" and owned one of my Nova's for 30 years now. One of the first things I did was tackle the floor pan drop when I took the body off. The original builder (Steve on the forum) was also a tall lad thankfully so I managed for a while. My changed drops were 5" I think from memory, lower than most. I also have the seats tilted back a lot, even then I feel more comfortable with the sun roof tilted up. So it is possible (just!), but bearing in mind mine is a Mark 1 and if yours is a Mark 2 you will get a couple of extra inches headroom

I've had a reply from Holland.

He only imported it to Holland 2 weeks ago.

To Everybody>

I would really like to thank you all for your help and advice.

I've only been a member for less than a week and already you have found a possible 3 cars. This, I wasn't expecting when I first posted.

However, it is with much regret (as I don't like wasting peoples time) that I'll have to shelve the idea of being a Nova owner.

Although it has been noted that being 6'4" might not be an issue (although it has to be said that having the seats tilted way back doesn't seem that comfortable to me as I like to sit upright when driving), I'm going to have to be practical.

My other half, being the rational one in the relationship, although not opposed to me pursuing my dream of owning a Nova, has made a couple of points (to which I cannot argue with because deep down I know she's right).

I don't have anywhere to store it or work on it.

I don't have the skill set to work on it without enlisting paid help.

I've been down the road of "money pit" and I vowed I wouldn't go down that path again.

I will keep looking on the site and add comments when & where I can, just to keep the spark alive. Who knows, one day it might happen.

All I can say is........BEING SENSIBLE SUCKS!!!!

Thanks again.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    I can understand your situation. I was pondering whether or not to bid for the 2 Novas on eBay recently and said on the Forum that if I did there would be a divorce. Peter replied with great advice ... he said that his wife had tried the “it’s me or the car” threat and that he’s now divorced, and living in Spain with the car! That made me smile.

Anyway, don’t give up on your dream. Hopefully after you’ve been ‘sensible’ for a while you’ll find a place to store one and you’ll find one which doesn’t need much work.

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 27-09-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I can understand your situation. I was pondering whether or not to bid for the 2 Novas on eBay recently and said on the Forum that if I did there would be a divorce. Peter replied with great advice ... he said that his wife had tried the “it’s me or the car” threat and that he’s now divorced, and living in Spain with the car! That made me smile.

Anyway, don’t give up on your dream. Hopefully after you’ve been ‘sensible’ for a while you’ll find a place to store one and you’ll find one which doesn’t need much work.

Alistair
    Cheers Alistair.

Maybe.... One day.

I did see the comments that you and Peter made. Made me smile too. As I mentioned though, my other half isn’t trying to stop me, just being practical about it.

By the looks of what I’ve been reading on the forum, I’d be totally out of my depth with regards to working on a Nova. You guys really know your stuff when it comes to things like reversing cameras and such like. Especially “spacenut”. Is she some kind of professor or what?

G

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    You guys really know your stuff when it comes to things like reversing cameras and such like. Especially “spacenut”. Is she some kind of professor or what?

G
    Alas no - just a humble rocket scientist

Seriously though, a Nova isn't a casual purchase, they were never designed with practicality in mind, something the designer freely acknowledged almost from the outset and has spent his entire career atoning for. It is certainly possible to get a good looking car that drives reasonably well with only basic skills but I would say as a minimum you should have somewhere under cover to store the car, they don't like being sat outdoors as they are not weather tight.

It took me 15 years to get the Green Machine on the road, she languished in the garage while I drove (slightly more) sensible cars. I hope that one day you will be able to experience the highs and lows of Nova ownership for yourself, but in the meantime there is always this forum and Youtube

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!