Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1981 VW Nova Mk1 restoration

Thanks for that Brett, great article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking at lifting the body and canopy off the car at the weekend if I get chance. Going to push the car in the garage, raise it on the ramps, support the body and lower the chassis to the floor. Will then push the chassis out of the garage, and then want to lower the body onto a frame to be able to move it about. Here then lies my question!
    Has anybody ever knocked up a frame for supporting / moving the body around, and if so, which were the key areas to support? Was thinking of a timber (padded) post between the rear arches and the same at the front tied together by a further timber batten at each side then supported on wheels.
    Any further advice?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    When I have done it I have just used two 3 x 2 timber posts across the body floor mounts furthest away from each other length ways then attached 4 large casters. Take the front under tray off though if you are doing this for any length to take the weight off the front end.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    When I have done it I have just used two 3 x 2 timber posts across the body floor mounts furthest away from each other length ways then attached 4 large casters. Take the front under tray off though if you are doing this for any length to take the weight off the front end.

Dirk
    I vaguelly recall someone else mentioning similar, but they also mentioned supporting the front too, to reduce the risk of "droop"

Cheers guys. I already have the front under tray off, so all ready to try it. Will let you know how I get on

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    How strong is your garage roof? ... Suspending the body from the roof using a block & tackle gives lots of control during lifting and refitting, and can be done single handedly.

Alistair

I use to support mine with three wooden beam (one under rear of body tub where it mounts to the chassis, one at the front of the body tub and one under the bonnet area recess to take the weight of the front) from my garage roof, and as Alistair suggested used block and tackle to raise and lower it.

In this shot you can see the beams, although the horizontal ones are folded up as I'm about to lower it with the block and tackle

Last edited by islandman; 29-10-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supanovakit View Post
    Has anybody ever knocked up a frame for supporting / moving the body around, and if so, which were the key areas to support? Was thinking of a timber (padded) post between the rear arches and the same at the front tied together by a further timber batten at each side then supported on wheels.
    Any further advice?
    When on the ground I have bolted or screwed strong timber along the sills and then bolted this to more timer etc to make crude trolleys - this pic shows one utilising some free wheels and frames I got from an old warehouse ladder being discarded.

unnamed (1).jpg

That's great if you have room for both the shell and the car - but when I have needed shells out of the way I slot timber joists into joist hangers on the side walls of the garage - I have a pair at suitable points so I can support a shell up high.To get it there is usually a case of grabbing a mate and tilting up and getting it resting across one joist in a wheel arch before man handling the other end up - a block and tackle would be easier I am sure, but if just a bare shell the weight is fine for 2.

I haven't got a pic with the whole shell up there, but here I have the canopy stored:

unnamed.jpg
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Thanks guys, some great options there.
    The garage roof is strong as I have an upstairs area, but the only issue I have is there is a garage door opener suspended in the middle which limits the height I have.
    I have an electric hoist I can use to lift or use my ramps to raise up, strap and then drop the chassis away and wheel it out. Will probably drop the body down onto similar frames as you have shown and wheel that out of the way.
    Can then do the reverse to drop it back on.
    Regards,
    Alan

Just for info, does anyone have the approximate weights of:
    Canopy with windscreen
    Body tub - without canopy, under trays etc
    Just want to work out what weight I would have hanging / supported by my ceiling joists.
    Regards,
    Alan