Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 1981 VW Nova Mk1 restoration

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    The type 3 has a different cooling shroud. Still flat but with a bigger fan (same as in the Avante that was up for sale on ebay - my original Nova had a type 3 engine that's how I recognise the difference).

Attachment 4347
    Type 3

Attachment 4348
    Type 4
    Useful thanks :-)

Picked up another Type 4 engine, so time to take off the ancillaries to see how it looks.

Looks like someone decided to have it running cold with no flaps present to assist cold starts.
    Will strip down a bit more tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the tinware seems to be there which is good and everything looks in reasonable condition.
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on the lack of the flap control for cold start? Should I re-instate?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supanovakit View Post
    Most of the tinware seems to be there which is good and everything looks in reasonable condition.
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on the lack of the flap control for cold start? Should I re-instate?

Mine had the flaps removed but after some research I decided to reinstate them. It seems that a lot of VW owners removed them in warmer climates like Florida, but I live in Scotland so I figured it best to reinstate them. I couldn’t find any new ones online, and 2nd hand ones are few and far between, but eventually found a set on eBay. I also talked to a guy who has a business in Central Scotland for advice and he said that he installs flaps in all the engines he rebuilds.

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Mine had the flaps removed but after some research I decided to reinstate them. It seems that a lot of VW owners removed them in warmer climates like Florida, but I live in Scotland so I figured it best to reinstate them. I couldn’t find any new ones online, and 2nd hand ones are few and far between, but eventually found a set on eBay. I also talked to a guy who has a business in Central Scotland for advice and he said that he installs flaps in all the engines he rebuilds.

Alistair
    Cheers Alistair,
    I have most of the components for refitting flaps from the other type 4 dismantled engine that came with the car, so will clean them up and put them in when I rebuild it.

Qute a nice T4 engine there , I am jealous, lots of tuning stuff for T4 engines as well as my beloved bling-bling..
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

The old one was beyond saving a lot of the components, managed to get this one locally and for quite a good price

Do the upright cooling conversion. I put a T4 in my Sterling and had to cut away quite a bit of the rear valance to clear the tins.

Type 4 with a Porsche shroud is really cool, (pun intendded)
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Does anyone know what size the splined bolt is as circled? Does it hold the 2 halves together or is it for another purpose? 2 halved don’t seem to want to come apart and I don’t have a socket for this at the moment so didn’t want to force it apart.