Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Post Lift

I love my lifts. I opted for 4-posts to a) store current projects and b) have room for more projects :-) Having too much in the garage defeats the purpose of the lifts.. I have to move stuff out if I actually want to work on something.

Ultra 436 lift2.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Interesting, you also proved to those who don't already know, how difficult it is to get a good finish on a floor. I assume you allowed it to firm up and float finished it to get it to blend in with the rest of the floor?

Also, while the drilling time sounds feasible, regardless of whatever additive they used, I would personally set the bolt holes and drill them as prescribed, but refrain from setting the bolts or securing the frame for a minimum of a month, but thats me and I don't know what setting agent they used.

Out of curiosity, what are you planning on using to secure the bolts in the holes? Two part resin?
    Secondly, are you going to level the lift posts and pour a non-compressional grout around their feet to keep the levels?
    Lastly, are you planning to resin coat or paint the whole floor to make it look uniform?

As for the delivery systems... from what I little know, the mainstream are trucks like you got or one that mix it "on-site" but I wouldn't expect the latter to have setting compounds or fibres in the mix, they seem to prefer mixing that in their depot using the easier to clean feeder truck like you got

I've never seen a pump system on the same concrete truck, the ones I have seen are on a separate vehicle and are scary expensive.

With that in mind, you got the most cost effective delivery they could offer regardless of how the delivery kinda went sideways thanks to the chute being a tad high.
    The only other work I have done with concrete was a pad for our oil tank, that was a lot smaller and didn't mater what the finish was like so I hired a mixer and did it myself.
    It was difficult to get a good finish on the surface and it is far from perfect, but it is nearer level than the garage floor which had a difference of 20mm over the 3m side to side. As for leveling the posts they are supplied with shims to get it right, they also supply the 6 inch 19mm anchor bolts. Having read a bit more today on the internet I may well take your advice drill the holes set the posts level but leave tightening them up for a month. I'm not bothered on how the floor looks so there are no plans on painting it, my workshops have painted floors but that's more to keep the dust down with my machines.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    I love my lifts. I opted for 4-posts to a) store current projects and b) have room for more projects :-) Having too much in the garage defeats the purpose of the lifts.. I have to move stuff out if I actually want to work on something.

Ultra 436 lift2.jpg

it looks like you have some nice space there, with a lot more height than I have got.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The only other work I have done with concrete was a pad for our oil tank, that was a lot smaller and didn't mater what the finish was like so I hired a mixer and did it myself.
    It was difficult to get a good finish on the surface and it is far from perfect, but it is nearer level than the garage floor which had a difference of 20mm over the 3m side to side. As for leveling the posts they are supplied with shims to get it right, they also supply the 6 inch 19mm anchor bolts. Having read a bit more today on the internet I may well take your advice drill the holes set the posts level but leave tightening them up for a month. I'm not bothered on how the floor looks so there are no plans on painting it, my workshops have painted floors but that's more to keep the dust down with my machines.

Dirk
    Fair enough, glad you're happy with the floor
    As for the levelling shims, if they leave any voids under the legs once the lifts are set in place, levelled and fixed, I suggest temporarily setting a square frame around the base of each leg, sealing them to the floor and pouring enough high compressive grout into the frame to fill the voids under the "legs", up to 5mm up the side of the foot.

Its the same technique we use to fill voids under steel posts and the like on certain building projects where we need to reduce/eliminate the risk of movement and spreads the load over the whole foot, rather than just the shims.

There's a few types of grout around, but sika febgrout is a good example

https://www.uk.weber/technical-mortars/grouting-steel-baseplates

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIKA-FBGROU...26748270&psc=1

(even if you already know this, I figured this may be useful information to anyone who didn't know)
    Last edited by Gaisa; 18-10-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Just noticed on your top picture that you separated out the hardcore (big lumps) from the dirt/soil so you can lob it back in with the concrete. Excellent work.
    I would also tread carefully when drilling new concrete... Any scope to drill a test hole somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Just noticed on your top picture that you separated out the hardcore (big lumps) from the dirt/soil so you can lob it back in with the concrete. Excellent work.
    I would also tread carefully when drilling new concrete... Any scope to drill a test hole somewhere?
    That would be a big no no, hardcore is much smaller big lumps of concrete just trap air. It was separated as the local farmer came and picked it up he is collecting rubble to turn in hardcore he hires this huge mobile crusher like a giant mincing machine, throw big lumps of concrete in and 20 / 30 mm bits come out he is getting ready to build a new barn and whilst my little bit wont go very far in his words "ouwt is better than nowt"

As for drilling goes I do not think that is an issue, but I am taking the advice from Gaisa and not tightening them up for a few weeks.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post

As for drilling goes I do not think that is an issue, but I am taking the advice from Gaisa and not tightening them up for a few weeks.

Dirk
    Glad to hear what little I learned in construction was of use to you Dirk
    That bit about tightening the bolts was something I learned the hard way when a much younger and over-eager to get something done Gaisa thought he could get the bolts on a pillar tightened sooner rather than later.
    I may be over-compensating, but I would personally prefer waiting a little to trying to secure the bolts and having them tear themselves out when they're torqued...
    Last edited by Gaisa; 19-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.

I spoke to the concrete supplier again this week and went through what I was doing the size of the anchor bolts and the fact they had to be torqued to 150 lb ft and they were adamant that 7 days was good enough, well its been 10 days so I went for it ( I am very impatient) But all went well.

My only problem now is that the post has hit the limit switch so can not go any higher but it is also sat on one of the down stops in order to release the down stop it needs to be lifted another couple of cm's. So at the moment it is stuck in the air. I am sure I will sort it tomorrow

It is very cool though and I have seen parts of the car I have never seen before.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Well done mate,
    Tightening to 150 lbs in fresh concrete? That's brave!
    Let's hope you don't have to unscrew them to get your car back ;-)

You just increased storage space in the garage with the touch of a button

But won't be able to open the garage door with it up there to use it

Looking good