Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid Engine Chassis

Mid Engine Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    Chassis used in FFR 818 kit car is a good inspiration for the mid engine subaru powered car.

Attachment 3659

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    This is the route I am going down when I start my Nova, It utilizes a lot of the Subaru suspension hubs brakes steering. Their build manual is very good with lots of detailed drawings and photos there is an old manual on the web you can download but if you want the latest one its only $19 from their web site.

Dirk
    Thought I'd move this conversation to here so it wouldn't get lost in the thread it started in.

My thoughts on this is that I would use components from other cars to keep the cost down.

Right now I'm looking at the front and rear sub frames from a Miata. The car has just about the same track width as the VW bug so the suspension could be left unaltered.

Miata Sub Frame1.jpgrear-subframe.jpg

Using the stock Subaru transmission would handle the power.

Cost and time have stopped this from materializing but that gives me time to think it out better, so if it does happen I will know how everything will go together.

I tried miata front suspension and it didn't work on my build. Due to geometry, the rear points of control arms were ending up in the cabin. This would require moving front firewall back by 14" which I wasn't willing to do. So I ended up selling it. But it would have been so sweet if it worked.01717_gFmc0tcsL0u_600x450.jpg00y0y_giyMDUFSVAU_600x450.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    I tried miata front suspension and it didn't work on my build. Due to geometry, the rear points of control arms were ending up in the cabin. This would require moving front firewall back by 14" which I wasn't willing to do. So I ended up selling it. But it would have been so sweet if it worked.01717_gFmc0tcsL0u_600x450.jpg00y0y_giyMDUFSVAU_600x450.jpg

Yes I have seen that and that would have to be shortened and relocated. But over all its the closes thing I have found to match the bugs track without doing major surgery.
    I've looked at the RX8 front and its to wide

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I think utilizing existing sub-frames will always be the problem, It has always been a goal of mine to do the mid engine set up and have looked and thought of many options and changed my mind each time. About 20 years ago I started building the Rorty chassis I had the main structure built an LS engine and UN1 gearbox. But then I got the helicopter and it all got sold to feed the money pit taht it was. I think I am now committed to going down the FFR route with a chassis purpose built for the Nova, it is one donor car for most of the parts and then some work for the other bits, they have a proven on the track record so for me its the way to go.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I think I am now committed to going down the FFR route with a chassis purpose built for the Nova, it is one donor car for most of the parts and then some work for the other bits, they have a proven on the track record so for me its the way to go.

Dirk
    I searched the Factory Five Racing site(FFR I don't care for abbreviations because in time they could mean something totally different or other companies could have the same abbreviations, if that is the case here)and couldn't find a purpose built chassis for the Nova.

Are they going to build you a purpose built Chassis??

Could you post a link to this so I could check it out??

One thing that I don't care about for having something custom built is that if you need parts for it and the company is no longer around your screwed for trying to find parts or if they are still in business then you have to go through them for parts.
    Using a donor vehicle at least you have options for finding parts(after market, dealer, junk yards,etc.)

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    One thing that I don't care about for having something custom built is that if you need parts for it and the company is no longer around your screwed for trying to find parts or if they are still in business then you have to go through them for parts.
    Using a donor vehicle at least you have options for finding parts(after market, dealer, junk yards,etc.)
    It's not so bad - my wishbones/A-arms came from a Noble 23, a car that has been out of production now for some 30-odd years, but the jigs have been passed on through various suppliers and can still be obtained new, as can the cast alloy rear hub carriers. The balljoints are all off standard production cars (and vans) and still used widely by Caterhams and other 7evens. I suppose the front uprights are getting a bit rare now, but that's about it...

In the US the nearest equivalent would be the ubiquitous Pinto front end, which also dates back to the early '70s...

It will be interesting to follow your build. Good luck!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

Are they going to build you a purpose built Chassis??

Could you post a link to this so I could check it out??
    No it was more the concept I was referring to and the way they have dealt with the suspension and brakes ect, that I will be adapting to a purpose built chassis that I will build. So most of the bits will come from the Subaru (upper ball joints from a Chrysler) all the other bits I will build myself excluding the drive shafts. So no issues with availability. More my ability

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

It will be interesting to follow your build. Good luck!

Lauren
    I've been going over the dimensions and it is possible to build a mid engine chassis for this car.

How ever the rear firewall would have to be moved.
    From my measurements the firewall would have to be moved about 5 inches/127mm forward for the engine to clear it which in itself is not a problem.

I was looking forward to building it but the issue for me is I just spent a bunch of money and time building that storage bin thats mounted behind the seats and I'm not about to just through it away, so a mid engine chassis will work but it will have to be built by someone else other than me.

PA310001.jpg PA310002.jpg

I also originally wanted to build a mid engine chassis but decided against it as I didn't want to sacrifice any interior space. And it seems that all model years of Porsche 911 are doing very well in terms of handling and performance with rear engine setup so I decided to stick with it as well. It is also much easier to service.

Brett, have you looked into an MR2? Those were also mid engine and offered with a supercharger. The 80's models were smaller and might match the track width.

Edit - 1972 VW Beetle:
    Front track = 1311 mm = 51.6 inches
    Reat track = 1354 mm = 53.3 in

MR2 Mk1
    Front track = 1440mm = 56.6 in
    Rear track = 1440mm = 56.6 in

So 2.5 inches approx each side, which is pretty drastic.
    Last edited by Nic; 01-11-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416