Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid Engine Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Brett, have you looked into an MR2? Those were also mid engine and offered with a supercharger. The 80's models were smaller and might match the track width.

Edit - 1972 VW Beetle:
    Front track = 1311 mm = 51.6 inches
    Reat track = 1354 mm = 53.3 in

MR2 Mk1
    Front track = 1440mm = 56.6 in
    Rear track = 1440mm = 56.6 in

So 2.5 inches approx each side, which is pretty drastic.
    Yup thats a little to wide.

I gave it some serious thought and I would loose to much of the work that I've already done on the car if I were to go mid engine at this point in the game. Now if I had just a body that needed a chassis I would not hesitate in building it.

We had an Irish member who was grafting a Nova onto an MR2 a year or two back - he seemed very keen for a few weeks then went completely silent.... (I think (but could be wrong!) the front strut height is a problem Nova-wise)
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I was looking forward to building it but the issue for me is I just spent a bunch of money and time building that storage bin thats mounted behind the seats and I'm not about to just through it away, so a mid engine chassis will work but it will have to be built by someone else other than me.
    I agree, the storage you have built in makes great use of this underutilised space, and you would have to give it all up to go mid-engined. My Alfa boxer engine is more compact than the Scooby and the bulkhead still has to come up to the seat backs. Storage options are very limited in these cars!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I think (but could be wrong!) the front strut height is a problem Nova-wise
    I agree - there isn't any room under there for a Macpherson strut, although it may be possible to use the original lower radius arms/TCA and uprights with fabricated upper wishbones and pushrods. A lot of work though...

Unfortunately I suspect our MR2 man was hoping for a simple single-donor mid-engine conversion, like so many of these fake Fezzas, but with the Nova it just isn't going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I agree, the storage you have built in makes great use of this underutilised space, and you would have to give it all up to go mid-engined. My Alfa boxer engine is more compact than the Scooby and the bulkhead still has to come up to the seat backs. Storage options are very limited in these cars!
    There were other things to consider also that lead to me not to build it.

The chassis I have now is already registered as a kit car so getting plates will be no problem. I did a front and rear disc brake conversion, transaxle work and parts, adapter plate for the engine to the transaxle, rebuilt the front and rear suspension, bolt pattern on the new rims fit the disc brake conversion I did. New CV joints, making the chassis stronger to handle the subaru engines power.

I know I could sell the parts but I'll never get what I put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I know I could sell the parts but I'll never get what I put into it.
    All too true - a mid engine chassis is a labour of love, and the amount of time and effort that goes into its development will never be appreciated by the casual observer. Which is very irritating at shows

Here is an alternative mid engine car that may provide a suitable base. Despite being very ugly It has direct DNA links to the green machine and was designed by Lee Nobel!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midtec-Sp...AAAOSwByhdqfE0

I know there is a couple inches difference in wheel base, but if your making the body fit the chassis it has potential

It's very cab-forward though, the Pinto engine puts the seats further forward than the Nova, your nose would be pressed against the windscreen!

But yes, the Midtec came out shortly after the Noble 23 ceased production.

What about the Tornado Sports Cars GT40 chassis?
    http://www.tornadosportscars.com/GT40/GT40Specs.html#
    The height and width is nearly the same as the Nova and the wheelbase is just half an inch wider. No idea of the seating position though. But I think that looks promising. Midengine V8 plus lots of options including a carbon monocoque, if your wallet is big enough...

Here's a direct link to the chassis. The link above is only the specs.
    http://www.tornadosportscars.com/GT40/GT40Chassis.html