Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avante for sale in Auction this saturday

Hi All

I bought the Avante that was at the auction on Saturday and collected it yesterday from Preston, it definitely needs work but is relatively complete and is running a modified beetle chassis, will start a build thread and work out how to get pictures up

Graham

Hi Graham - welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your project build. The engine is a 1600 air cooled VW I believe and probably worth the best part of what you paid for the entire car
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Hi Graham, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase, I think you got yourself a bargain from what I saw on the day of the sale. I wish I had taken more photos on the day but it was poring down when I was going around the cars. I'm looking forward to seeing you start your own thread with lots of photos. I'm not convinced it is a standard Beetle 1600 engine something looked different to me when I looked at it but I'm no expert and could be wrong.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, good luck with the car;
    do you know anything of the car's history?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Hi Graham, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase, I think you got yourself a bargain from what I saw on the day of the sale. I wish I had taken more photos on the day but it was poring down when I was going around the cars. I'm looking forward to seeing you start your own thread with lots of photos. I'm not convinced it is a standard Beetle 1600 engine something looked different to me when I looked at it but I'm no expert and could be wrong.

Dirk
    Hi Dirk
    We had a better look at it yesterday on the lift at work and its definitely a stock beetle motor (although it seized solid) but with what looks like a custom fan housing, I run a VW Restoration shop so am well versed on whats fitted to it and its all fairly standard beetle, intrigued by the headlamp flaps that seem to be controlled by a wiper motor??

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahaml View Post
    .... unless there’s some special support mechanism under the chassis?

Welcome to the Forum and all the best with your resto

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by grahaml View Post
    Hi Dirk
    We had a better look at it yesterday on the lift at work and its definitely a stock beetle motor (although it seized solid) but with what looks like a custom fan housing, I run a VW Restoration shop so am well versed on whats fitted to it and its all fairly standard beetle, intrigued by the headlamp flaps that seem to be controlled by a wiper motor??
    It must have been the custom fan housing that threw me, a quick look pulling up the rear panel in the rain and you could see something was different. Anyway sounds like the car is in good hands, and yes the light flap is operated by a wiper motor and a couple of pin switches. If you are planning on driving in the dark I would suggest putting popups in, I've only driven mine once in the dark and Ill not do it again its scary.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    .... unless there’s some special support mechanism under the chassis?

Welcome to the Forum and all the best with your resto

Alistair
    Apparently all the cars where loaded and unloaded by forklift getting them to the auction. There where some disgruntled buyers moaning of damage to some of the cars whilst I was there, but what do you do when there are no keys and these cars have been left rotting for many years.

Dirk