Thread: Digital speedometer and tach guage

Digital speedometer and tach guage

I need to replace both original Speedometer and tach that came with the "Sterling"kit. I am looking for one guage that would be like that is in my Toyota 86, analog Tack with a digital speedometer readout. It would have to be compatible with 1969 VW electronics or I would need some equipment to provide the correct digital signals.
    Can anyone provide guidance and direction?
    57403639859__6FF2B837-F7B2-4BF2-A50B-6483FFFDFBF4.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Thanks guys

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hello Man,
    When you get the chance start a thread in the 'Your Cars' Forum,
    add some pics pf the car and give us a bit of history and what your plans are for your build.
    More pics & updates the better ;-)

I can't answer your question, but I'm in the same boat, considering an all in one ~digi-dash for my build (similar to the pic you posted) I have a Mk1 'pod' style also. There are lots around but none of them appeal to me.
    Last edited by steve; 01-11-2019 at 08:46 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hello 5TT - I have used a Dakota Digital SGI-5 signal interface to couple my single speed sensor into two types of speedometer - a Dakota Digital Odyssey speedometer/odometer and a Rover SD1 trip computer, which has a different type of speed sensor and a different calibration. A quick Google will turn up lots of combination speedo/tacho gauges, and there is a version of the Dakota signal interface that will process tachometer inputs/outputs as well as speed signals (I think it is called the SGI-1000). Hopefully this will be able to take the spikey pulse train off the contact breaker and convert it into a form that the digital combo gauge can handle.

You will need to find a way of generating a pulse train proportional to road speed. Normally this involves attaching a speed sensor to the gauge end of the speedo cable, behind the dash.

I can see why you would want a single combo gauge in the Sterling, but I do like the standard Stewart Warner gauges, which are so evocative of the era (they were standard equipment on the Lamborghini Countach LP400).

Good luck with your search.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-9290.html

There are other types out there if this doesn't fit your needs.

You didn't mention what manufacturer your considering but the company may have the conversion parts you need.

If you're dumping your SW's, I'll take them with the sensors for my car.

Thanks for the direction.