Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Green Machine - On the Road...

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Indeed, although thankfully the forecast down here is looking OK for the next few days.

I forgot to mention, I bought two tubes of 3M non-hardening windscreen sealant. This stuff looks just like polyurethane adhesive, but stays pliable after being applied. It is normally used to bed in glass around traditional rubber windscreen seals. I made up a test piece from a small square of polycarbonate, painted on an obscuration band and then did a trial run on a fibreglass offcut. It does exactly what it says on the tin - it doesn't set, although I think the surface is supposed to skin over in time.

I ran a bead around the driver's side headlamp bucket, and offered up the cover. I used stainless screws to hold the cover in place, then replaced each one with a black Nylon screw. This was reasonably successful, but one of the brass inserts got sealant on the threads and imparted too much stiction on the screw. Net result - one insert is unusable, but the sealant does a great job of holding the cover in place and the other 7 screws are holding fine.

The sealant gets absolutely everywhere and took a fair bit of cleaning up, so I haven't done the passenger side yet, but the driver's side is now waterproof and if all goes well I will use the same trick on the side windows. I'm getting a bit fed up with water pouring in when it rains!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Loving the headlamp de-mist mod, great work

Thanks Steve - well, I have clearly learned a lot from yesterday; today I ran a bead of non-hardening sealant around the passenger side headlamp bucket, placed the cover carefully on top, located all the screws before tightening each one down, and the job's a good 'un

My test piece is starting to skin over on the surface, but this sealant stays wet for a long time!

Lauren

Looking good, it will be interesting to see the results.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Nice up Lauren, the main thing is that its being driven! I'm jealous
    Me too.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

After all the rain we have had recently I wasn't sure if the wet carpet in the passenger footwell was a result of rain or a leak in the cooling system. However, after several days of dry weather and a persistently wet carpet (also with that oily consistency typical of antifreeze solution) I have concluded that it must be the latter.

Unfortunately the likely source of the leak is the joint for the heater matrix pipes, which run along channels at the bottom of the centre tunnel and are covered by the tunnel moulding. It is unfortunate as this is one of the more inaccessible areas of the car. The stripdown process begins with the removal of the side pockets, but this did not go well as I have used black anodised steel Allen screws to fix them in place, and with all the water pouring in one of them had rusted in place. So I will be replacing all of the fixtures with stainless steel equivalents, even if they do look more obvious against the black interior!

Unfortunately getting to the offending leak means removing the centre tunnel, which of course is keyed into the centre console which in turn supports the dashboard and cannot be removed without taking out both seats first

Hopefully it will be a straightforward fix once I get to it!

Lauren

It is a real pain when you have to strip half the car to tighten ( hopefully ) one clip.
    Had a similar issue when I realised my high level brake light under the rear spoiler did not work. Seat, rear window tunnel etc just to re connect a loose connection.
    It is worth it though 👍

I'm sure you will have already considered this - but could the leak be caused by the windscreen washer system which is also likely to contain an antifreeze component?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

What a nightmare, hopefully once you start it wont take too long, As for the stainless being obvious that an easy one just Blacken it.

https://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/stai...eel-blackener/

Dirk

Alternatively black anodized aluminium or stainless ones

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32977119587.html