Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Green Machine - On the Road...

It must have been a lot of work but well worth it - the result is fantastic
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I have retained these flimsy, badly formed panels since I acquired my Nova in 1990. For 6 years they covered the worst visual aspects of the canopy hinges and hydraulics when the canopy was closed, but following the installation of my new dashboard I peeled away the old vinyl covering and cleaned off the remains of decades of old contact adhesive, before cutting back the forward section of the panels in order to clear the dashboard ends…

The black gel coat was in reasonable condition, but the panels would require quite a bit of modification before they would match the rest of the interior. Also, I needed to find a way of introducing a side window demister vent to match the corresponding outlet on the end of the dash. After some experimentation I attached the angled aluminium plate to the front edge, placed in such a way that the plate slots in outside the edge of the dash when the canopy is closed. This then formed the basis of a polyurethane foam block, shaped to match the contour of the dashboard, and extended forward to a point, similar to the pattern of the original. I marked the position of the dash vent outlet on the foam and then bored through with a hole-saw, shaping the corresponding outlet into an elongated oval. I also added approximately 1” of depth to the panel, and chamfered the inside edge so it would match the chamfer on the cockpit panels…

I fibre-glassed all the foam in place and then started the seemingly endless process of fitting the trim, closing the canopy, checking the fit, raising the canopy, removing the trim, making changes, refitting etc. It has been one of the most daunting engineering challenges on the entire build!

Having achieved the closest fit I could, I fitted the trim in place, then taped a strip of carpet around the end of the dashboard, to give a uniform 3-4mm of spacing between the two panels once closed. After covering the carpet in resin-proof tape, mixed up a batch of filler and then climbed into the cockpit with my onion board and spreader, I applied the filler along the edge of the trim and then closed down the canopy. I then spread the filler as evenly as possible over the gap, and then settled down while the filler cured. This was actually a very comfortable way to spend a quarter of an hour

Once the filler had set sufficiently, it was time to raise the canopy, VERY gingerly! Fortunately the filler separated along the line of the resin proof tape, just as I had hoped. Once fully cured and with the excess sanded off, I sprayed the whole panel in etch primer and once dry applied a coat of coarse texture. I left this to harden off overnight, but I must say after months of looking at a half-finished panel it was great to see it all in one colour (almost)…

I then applied a top coat of satin black, and the panel was complete!

Time to test fit. It was a chilly day…

...But I think the new panel looks really good with the canopy open...

...and with the canopy closed…

I thin strip of foam is all that is required to connect the demister outlet on the dashboard to the vent in the trim panel.

Not very easy to see in this image, but the vent outlet directs the heat to the forward part of the side window, inline with the rear view mirror.

The driver’s side trim has a bit of catching up to do before it too is complete, but I am very happy with progress so far.

More news as it happens!

Lauren
    Looks absolutely awesome
    well done

Very nice and looks OEM too, nice finish. The equivalent on mine would be the door cards and what a bitch they are turning out to be to look good and blend to the dash so I appreciate the hard work. well done.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    It looks good, did you get chance to try the vents out in the cold weather?

Dirk
    Hi Dirk - I wasn't out in the car yesterday because I was expecting snow, but I was out the day before when the temperature was also below zero. Even without the side panels in place, the hot air outlets on the end of the dash point at the front part of the side windows and work very well already. The smaller aperture in the side panels will help to "throttle back" the airflow, hopefully increasing the delivery to the windscreen demisters.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I love the OEM feel where the panel wraps around the dash, nicely done
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    It must have been a lot of work but well worth it - the result is fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by glasgowgolfer View Post
    Looks absolutely awesome
    well done
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Very nice and looks OEM too, nice finish. The equivalent on mine would be the door cards and what a bitch they are turning out to be to look good and blend to the dash so I appreciate the hard work. well done.
    Thanks guys - much appreciated

I just need to get the other side done now, finish fabricating the cockpit rear quarter panels, and then I will be ready to fit my electronic ignition upgrade and replace the front dampers. Not such a long "to do" list now!

Lauren

Well at least the electronic ignition shouldn't take long if mine is anything to go by, 10 minuets.

I was in my son-in-laws BMW 525 the other day and looking very longingly at his door vents and the way they curve into the dash.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I am late to the party here, but well done on another MOT and a great update on the canopy trim, good food for thought there as well, as I have a pair of those gathering dust in the loft.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I am late to the party here, but well done on another MOT and a great update on the canopy trim, good food for thought there as well, as I have a pair of those gathering dust in the loft.
    Perfect chance for you to try out the practical side of those fiberglass youtube "how to" videos Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Thanks Steve - I was out in the car in filthy wet weather yesterday and I can confirm that the side window vent works a treat - clear view of the outside rear view mirror, and I haven't even sorted out the seal around the dash outlet yet!

Lauren