Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Green Machine - On the Road...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

...Apart from the handbrake, obviously, which received the usual derisory "is that it?"
    That sounds oh so familiar....

Great job on the pass

Congratulations on the pass, love that relief from anxious waiting for the results to elation on being handed the new certificate. In our case that little 30 x 20 2021 sticker is gold.. Or testers seem to stretch that out for quite a while.
    Blanca the BMW, passed this year first time, he ignored the front left fog light not working as we never have fog anyway.

Still as has been said, "A pass is a pass".
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Cool excellent work Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    After a desperately chilly day crawling around under and over the Green Machine, she went through the MoT with no advisories this time. Ferodo 2600 pads are now fully bedded-in, so the brake measurement on the rollers was limited by the wheels locking

...Apart from the handbrake, obviously, which received the usual derisory "is that it?"

A pass is a pass though.

Lauren

PS - the advisories from last year were for the play in the front wheel bearings, which being taper rollers are a design feature, something I had trouble getting across last time... Too many crummy French hatchbacks with FWD I guess

Bloody Marvellous

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glasgowgolfer View Post
    Bloody Marvellous
    Thanks GG, it's good to be back
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Canopy Side Trim Panels

I have retained these flimsy, badly formed panels since I acquired my Nova in 1990. For 6 years they covered the worst visual aspects of the canopy hinges and hydraulics when the canopy was closed, but following the installation of my new dashboard I peeled away the old vinyl covering and cleaned off the remains of decades of old contact adhesive, before cutting back the forward section of the panels in order to clear the dashboard ends…

The black gel coat was in reasonable condition, but the panels would require quite a bit of modification before they would match the rest of the interior. Also, I needed to find a way of introducing a side window demister vent to match the corresponding outlet on the end of the dash. After some experimentation I attached the angled aluminium plate to the front edge, placed in such a way that the plate slots in outside the edge of the dash when the canopy is closed. This then formed the basis of a polyurethane foam block, shaped to match the contour of the dashboard, and extended forward to a point, similar to the pattern of the original. I marked the position of the dash vent outlet on the foam and then bored through with a hole-saw, shaping the corresponding outlet into an elongated oval. I also added approximately 1” of depth to the panel, and chamfered the inside edge so it would match the chamfer on the cockpit panels…

I fibre-glassed all the foam in place and then started the seemingly endless process of fitting the trim, closing the canopy, checking the fit, raising the canopy, removing the trim, making changes, refitting etc. It has been one of the most daunting engineering challenges on the entire build!

Having achieved the closest fit I could, I fitted the trim in place, then taped a strip of carpet around the end of the dashboard, to give a uniform 3-4mm of spacing between the two panels once closed. After covering the carpet in resin-proof tape, mixed up a batch of filler and then climbed into the cockpit with my onion board and spreader, I applied the filler along the edge of the trim and then closed down the canopy. I then spread the filler as evenly as possible over the gap, and then settled down while the filler cured. This was actually a very comfortable way to spend a quarter of an hour

Once the filler had set sufficiently, it was time to raise the canopy, VERY gingerly! Fortunately the filler separated along the line of the resin proof tape, just as I had hoped. Once fully cured and with the excess sanded off, I sprayed the whole panel in etch primer and once dry applied a coat of coarse texture. I left this to harden off overnight, but I must say after months of looking at a half-finished panel it was great to see it all in one colour (almost)…

I then applied a top coat of satin black, and the panel was complete!

Time to test fit. It was a chilly day…

...But I think the new panel looks really good with the canopy open...

...and with the canopy closed…

I thin strip of foam is all that is required to connect the demister outlet on the dashboard to the vent in the trim panel.

Not very easy to see in this image, but the vent outlet directs the heat to the forward part of the side window, inline with the rear view mirror.

The driver’s side trim has a bit of catching up to do before it too is complete, but I am very happy with progress so far.

More news as it happens!

Lauren

I bet you're pleased with those panels they really look good, great panel to dash gaps

Thanks Mike, I am very pleased with the fit. It has taken a long time, and two false starts, to get to this point!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Excellent bit of work there Lauren!

... and the Green Machine's looking fab against the snow!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It looks good, did you get chance to try the vents out in the cold weather?

Dirk

I love the OEM feel where the panel wraps around the dash, nicely done