Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Green Machine - On the Road...

Or plastic pop on covers for x heads from DIY.

I know what you are going through, see my thread.

Well, your toe bone connected to your foot bone
    Your foot bone connected to your heel bone
    Your heel bone connected to your ankle bone
    Your ankle bone connected to your leg bone
    Your leg bone connected to your knee bone
    Your knee bone connected to your thigh bone
    Your thigh bone connected to your hip bone
    Your hip bone connected to your back bone
    Your back bone connected to your shoulder bone
    Your shoulder bone connected to your neck bone
    Your neck bone connected to your head bone
    I hear the word of the Lord!

Lord I feel old (er)

Last edited by Peter; 05-01-2020 at 12:36 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    […]
    Unfortunately the likely source of the leak is the joint for the heater matrix pipes, which run along channels at the bottom of the centre tunnel and are covered by the tunnel moulding. It is unfortunate as this is one of the more inaccessible areas of the car.
    […]
    What a pain! Maybe there will be a opportunity to make some other improvements or tidy some bits up while its pulled apart; just trying to be positive!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    What a pain! Maybe there will be a opportunity to make some other improvements or tidy some bits up while its pulled apart; just trying to be positive!
    Yes, there are - I will need to get the instrument pod out before the dash top can come off, so I might see about trimming the viewing ports for the secondary instruments. I might also look at replacing (or adding some series resistance to) the tachometer calibration potentiometer (to fix the rpm reading approximately 200 rpm low).

It is probably time I replaced the coolant anyway, after 2-3 years the corrosion inhibitors become ineffective. In our increasingly mild climate it is the corrosion inhibitors that are my main priority in a coolant solution, as the Alfa engine uses an iron block with alloy cylinder heads. With the system drained down I might re-think/replace the hoses and clips just to be on the safe side!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Coolant Leak Fix

So my wet carpet turned out to be fresh coolant, leaking from a jubilee clip with a damaged worm drive. It was a bit of a faff to get to, but at least I had designed it to be accessible in the first place!

Once the clip had been replaced, I had to do something about the carpet. Unfortunately, anti-freeze does not evaporate easily so all my efforts with a heat gun were wasted. In desperation I diluted the antifreeze further with bucketloads of cold water, sponging the excess away and then finally going over the area with my Vax carpet cleaner. This managed to suck up around a litre of water from the carpet, leaving it almost dry to the touch. Subsequent engine running did not result in a return of the leak, so it was time to put the interior back together!

First off, the centre console was reinstalled. The sides of this moulding cover the hose clips. After a lot of fiddling to relocate the heater control cables onto the heater box I was ready to reinstall the seats. Here are the inboard seat runners ready to go in…

...And in place…

While I was at it, I sprayed the bracket that holds the choke control in place, as I could see the bare aluminium through the gap in the side panel…

With the seat shell bolted in place, it is all a tight fit, but it does fit…

With the main dash top back in place, it was time to fit the centre console support…

4 bolts hold this panel in place, which firmly supports the inboard end of the instrument pod top cover, and shrouds the telecam monitor and under-dash fixtures and wiring.

The instrument pod has to be removed to allow the dash top to come out. While the pod was on the bench, I replaced the 74k potentiometer that dictates the calibration range of the tachometer. I’m not sure the original design fully appreciated the limits of the Alfa Romeo engine!

The pot is in the centre of the image, bottom right of the PCB. Replacement was relatively easy, I was able to unbolt the PCB and dress back the wiring enough to solder in the new pot.

Top view prior to reinstallation in the car.

While I had the cooling system partially drained I thought it would be a good idea to replace the header tank, which was looking very past its best…

This is the original header tank from my 1978 donor car. The pressure cap was really rusty which is why I sanded and painted it black. I’ve no idea whether the tank was originally brown plastic, but this one was so discoloured I couldn’t see the coolant level! Also, large splits were starting to appear along the top ridges, due to age and flexing as the pressure builds up in use. Here is the replacement, from an Alfasud parts supplier in Greece – the last refuge of this wonderful, but terminally rust-prone little car…

It looks the same doesn’t it? I thought so too…

...Right up to the point I offered it up to the support bracket! As it turns out, the tank has more curvature than the original, as well as an additional support bracket…

The latter was easily fixed with a hacksaw. The former required more drastic action…

Once I had ground enough metal away I primed and top-coated the bracket and then at last I was able to fit the tank…

This wasn’t quite the end of the story however – the heater return hose to the tank has a 6mm stub and the outlet from my heater hose adapter is an 8mm pipe. So I had to spend an hour or so fabricating a copper sleeve to go over some 6mm pipe and solder the assembly together to make an 8mm to 6mm hose adapter.

Nothing is ever straightforward where Novas are concerned!

Lauren

It must have been very frustrating, but also satisfying that it is now done and all back together again. Ready for the show circuit once more

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Glad you got the leak sorted Lauren. Love the photo of your mid engine set up and chassis!

A few more images which I forgot I had uploaded.

I took these images of the wiper motor contact plate to remind myself which of the three wires goes where. I had written what order the wires attach in pencil, and as you can see, the writing is no longer visible. A quick check with the multimeter confirmed that the permanent live for the self park (7A cable, light green) is on the left-hand end, switched live (25A, green) connects to the right-hand side and the earth connection (25A, black) connects to the middle. Now written in permanent marker!

I used the wiper and washer yesterday which confirmed the wiring is correct. But I did notice that one of the three washer jets was blocked so I will have to poke the nozzle with a wire. Keeping the screen clear is essential on the Nova (especially the Mk1) due to the extreme rake angle.

While the instrument pod was out I also dismantled the display in order to cut back the polariser from the top of the water temperature and oil pressure display windows, as the top of the numerals were getting cut off when I was sat in my normal driving position. I also noticed that the right-hand edge of the water temperature display was being cut off by the mask. As I have noted before, although the pod is adjustable for viewing angle, the top cover limits the full range of possible adjustment. Clearly not suitable for drivers taller than 5’10”, but there again, when has a Nova ever been suitable for drivers over 5’10”???

This is the pod without any graphics or warning lights. The grey diffuser covers the tachometer bargraph and the scale illumination. Speedo on the left, and the blue gel covered windows for the secondary instruments below the tachometer. Looks very bare

Polycarbonate window (bottom) with the tachometer graphics at the top, the PCB for the warning lights across the middle and the secondary instrument display window (with symbol illumination alongside) along the bottom. The warning lights plug into the 9-way Cannon connector on the right-hand side of the pod.

Everything installed bar the shroud with the warning light symbols and display windows and the cover for the Cannon connector and outer window.

Completed assembly. You can just make out where the warning light symbols are. The shrouds are made from black card with punched holes and symbols on acetate glued in from behind.

Out on the road I find that I can now see the top of the characters clearly so I don’t have to look at the instruments any longer than I need to. A further tweak of the hose clips on the coolant expansion tank also appear to have stemmed any leakage under pressure, but I have ordered a metre of 8mm and 6mm ID hose with appropriately sized jubilee clips which I will fit when I do the next full engine service.

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    It must have been very frustrating, but also satisfying that it is now done and all back together again. Ready for the show circuit once more
    Thanks Dave - yes it felt like I was back in the wilderness again, not having a car. Now it is all sorted there will be plenty of occasional use before the show season starts!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Glad you got the leak sorted Lauren. Love the photo of your mid engine set up and chassis!
    Thanks Alistair - I am pleased at how well the gearbox and brake calipers are holding up. Also, although not obvious in this picture, there is quite a lot of Winter road muck around the engine bay, and it still looks presentable

Sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare. Antifreeze is a nightmare to cleanup when its in carpets. Glad to see you are all sorted and back on the road.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    That Header tanks fitment problem is a typical Nova (kit car) issue, should have taken 15 mins; ends up with the cutting tools in play, Jeez.