Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4.2 v8 Avante build

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I think that is rubbish, trade do not have full DVLA access. You will have no chance with IVA just send off the form to the DVLA with the chassis number, what have you got to lose £15 !!!

Dirk
    Hello mate, I am unfamiliar with the IVA regs, what are the killer reasons why an Avante won't get through an IVA test?

I can think of a couple;
    Headlight position.
    Mirrors not accessible from sitting position (section 14) leave side windows off.
    Sharp edges.
    There are others but the only way is to study the ITV regs section by section and be honest in appraising your car.
    Kit Car magazine in 2013 did a feature month by month on the subject, that's how I know about section 14. (April 2013), the series may be available on-line.
    Last edited by Peter; 29-12-2019 at 12:42 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Potential IVA failure points are legion I'm afraid - I was looking at a GT40 builders forum the other day and the latest regs say that even the side windows have to be "E" marked, otherwise it is an instant fail. The only way they are getting through is for the builder to confirm (if asked) that side windows will NEVER be fitted, and to leave no indication of frames or fixtures.

Sharp edges as Peter says, including rear view mirror surrounds, switchgear etc., rubber booties over all exposed bolt heads on the underside of the car, "E" marked lights and indicators all round, headrests, noise tests (always a problem with rear-engined cars as the engine noise contributes to the exhaust racket), working screen demisters, the list goes on...

The best bet as Dirk says is to try and see if the Avante has already been registered, and take it from there. Good luck!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I think enough has been said to make you think for £15 send of the forms to the DVLA even if it comes back as a Beetle you still have a chance to get that changed to an Avante I did. It would be a very expensive job to get an Avante through an IVA as Lauren said all the glass has to be approved so your current windscreen would not pass there is a grand, to get the required view from the wing mirrors they would look stupid sticky out things.The fuel tank can not be exposed in the engine bay most of our cars are. As Peter says download the regs and go through each section it is a mind field.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    What I was asking was, is there anything, specific to the Avante, which makes it a more difficult car to get through an IVA test?

It seems that the answer to the question is No; there is nothing specific about the Avante;

You're saying that any low-slung, fixed-roof kitcar is a nightmare to get through an IVA regardless of Make, so much so, that the IVA route isn't viable for one of 'our' cars
    (Nova/Avante/Eagle), is that fair?

Well, in view of this, maybe we should be offering clearer and better advice about such pitfalls to people on the forum? To allow owners to plan their vehicle's build accordingly?

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    What I was asking was, is there anything, specific to the Avante, which makes it a more difficult car to get through an IVA test?

It seems that the answer to the question is No; there is nothing specific about the Avante;

You're saying that any low-slung, fixed-roof kitcar is a nightmare to get through an IVA regardless of Make, so much so, that the IVA route isn't viable for one of 'our' cars

Well, in view of this, maybe we should be offering clearer and better advice about such pitfalls to people on the forum? To allow owners to plan their vehicle's build accordingly?
    Which is pretty fundamental for those going down the non vw beetle chassis route

I didn't actual notice the question came from you, and no I do not think it is specific to the Avante but all of our cars. It probable would not be impossible to do it but it would be expensive and a lot of work. My negativity to Jaracing's idea to go that route is that he has a very easy option to explore first. I have managed to get V5 with only a VIN number and I have changed a Beetle as make on the V5 to Avante. So why go down that complicated route when there maybe no need?

Dirk

I thought I was fairly specific to the Avanti. However, having said that, the Nova, Avanti and SS are so close in size, shape and dimensions as to almost be generic of the type so what is applicable to one would be good (or bad) for the others.

A GREAT MANY kit cars, of all types, never see the road because of the IVA, it is a sod and sometimes complying with it is just too much.

I have been TRYING to establish regs' and compliance for years, not helped by 'THEM' moving goal posts every now and again. one thing for certain is, leave off the side windows, including all seals, trim and fastenings. Under section 14 you need to be able to reach the mirror whilst seated.

Make sure lights are correct minimum height and distance from edges/center and E marked, all of them.

The list is huge and even armed with 'the book' it would take days for a 'civvie' to go through it and days to relate that to their car.

Not to be put off, I am sure it can be done.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

+1 for getting the V5C before pouring money and time into this project.

A related question.
    If you have a car that is registered something like VW Nova, how far can you go modification wise before you get problems with the DVLA?
    An example, my Eagle is registered as VW Eagle SS and its on a Q plate. Could I replace the VW chassis with a new pie buggy one?
    I would have though this would change the chassis number and the DVLA would get upset.
    I suppose it depends heavily on if the car is Q plated or not and if you actually tell the DVLA of a chassis or engine number change. I've never seen an MOT station look at either chassis or engine numbers.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    maybe we should be offering clearer and better advice about such pitfalls to people on the forum? To allow owners to plan their vehicle's build accordingly?
    I don't think we can do that, as no Nova/Avante/Eagle has been submitted for IVA, to our knowledge. We can only look at similar closed coupes such as GT40 replicas to see what they have to do to get through the test, but obviously there are many detail differences to consider.

In the absence of that IVA experience, all we can do is point out the potential pitfalls to the prospective builder. The only salient advice that we can give is, as it has always been, caveat emptor...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!