Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4.2 v8 Avante build

And we should avoid talk of transfering chassis numbers and other dodgy pastimes on an open forum.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    And we should avoid talk of transferring chassis numbers and other dodgy pastimes on an open forum.....
    Totally agree, 'ringing' and chassis number 'tinkering' could spell disaster down the line as the DVLA and police take a VERY dim view and it could end with offending vehicle being crushed.

( I can't read mine as it's hidden under the false rear bulkhead, Hmmmm, better think on that one for the future).

Whilst there is no specification for a MoT inspector to follow when a Q plate car is involved, it being a 'bitsa', they ARE supposed to cross check the VIN with the docs. at least that's what they told us at Hendon when I got my MoT testers number, (back in 1971) and I don't think things got any more lenient since.
    They certainly do here and if they can't read it, they fail it,

As a new chassis probably doesn't come with a number at all I can't see why one couldn't use the old one as VW chassis numbers are not VIN as such, although they do appear on the V5c.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

One of the very few things we don’t allow discussion of on the forum.

I’m watching 😂
    In all serious, the best way is to verify the chassis and get the V5 that way.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post
    +1 for getting the V5C before pouring money and time into this project.

A related question.
    If you have a car that is registered something like VW Nova, how far can you go modification wise before you get problems with the DVLA?
    An example, my Eagle is registered as VW Eagle SS and its on a Q plate. Could I replace the VW chassis with a new pie buggy one?
    […]

These are tough questions man.

>> If you have a car that is registered something like VW Nova,
    >> how far can you go modification wise before you get problemswith the DVLA?

This question isn't answered on the DVLA website, various modification scenarios are described here:
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration
    But not the one you are asking about; so you'll have to ask DLVA for clarification.

>> An example, my Eagle is registered as VW Eagle SS and it’s on a Q plate.
    >> Could I replace the VW chassis with a new pie buggy one?

The underlying question is, can you make more changes to a Q Plate car vs an age related Plate car?
    It's a good question, again it's one for DVLA.
    They won't allow a chassis change though, unless it's like-for-like, i.e. replace a rusted-out VW pan with a new one.

Q Reg = Historically this means a car made from bits - no single donor vehicle.
    So DVLA don't know anything about it(?) so how do they enforce their 'change limiting' rules?

Right now, featured in a kit car magazine, someone is building a mid-engined Avante on VW Pan, double-wishbone suspension, lots of bells & whistles.
    I doubt that car will be IVA'd, so it's staying on a V5C (?) Presumably the guys on the magazine know what they are doing - but I find that quite amazing! And I think we can all learn from it.

Will certainly be interesting to keep tabs on that one Steve.

I think those of us on a Q plate but registered as a Nova or Eagle not a VW will have more scope for change than an age related registration as that was awarded on a points bases related to original parts, a Q plate isn't so for instance there is nothing to say mine has a VW chassis and as long as the tester can see the same number on the chassis (should he be bothered to look) as is in the log book he is not to be any the wiser.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

There is no reason why one of these cars can't pass the IVA test . Obviously you will have to spend some dosh on things like an up to date windscreen . Not sure about the side windows . Like has already been brought up the gt40 hasn't got glass side windows . In 2005 I passed an IVA test with a Countach . That has more angles than any other car I know . It failed first time because the window wiper had to many sharp bits on so I made a plastic cover over the sharp bits . Side indicators were in the wrong place so I got some stick on one's and out them on the wing mirrors . All these thing I took off afterwards . You don't have to be able to touch your side mirrors from inside the car . You just fit auto adjust ones .
    Lights probably will be a thing to sort out as they need to be a certain distance from the floor . And wings you have best take them off as I did for the test . You can't change your chassis and use the same v5 that's a crime unfortunately . When your car fails as my Countach did first time you get 3 months to sort the issues and another smaller fee . Then they just test the bits you rectified

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

When you take your car to the IVA test you will need a bill of sale for the chassis and probably the v5 for the gearbox/ trany. The more parts from the same car off the v5 Doner the better engine and gearbox is a big one . Then they will give you an age related reg off the Donner car .

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Staals View Post
    When you take your car to the IVA test you will need a bill of sale for the chassis and probably the v5 for the gearbox/ trany. The more parts from the same car off the v5 Doner the better engine and gearbox is a big one . Then they will give you an age related reg off the Donner car .

But only if using a donor car and have a V5c If it is a scratch build with a home built engine then it would be totally Q plated as being a car assembled from parts of unknown age or origin.
    Section 8/11 does say one has to be able to adjust the mirror from the drivers seat in the case it is knocked. out of adjustment, this is assumed to also be from the driving seat.
    Last edited by Peter; 17-10-2021 at 12:27 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I guess it is a moot point now, as the original post is 2 years old and we have not heard anything more since.

Nice as the Pie Valley chassis looks, to my knowledge there are no examples on the road yet, and to take an unsorted chassis design and stick a powerful V8 in it and expect it to work straight out of the box is asking for trouble I think. Kit car history is littered with such examples, like the Silhouette Countach replica with a Jag V12, or the Miura replica exhibited at Goodwood FOS and fitted with a twin-turbo Audi V6 (the only in-line engine short enough to fit in the engine bay). All designed to part the unwary from their money, and all sunk without trace.

To take a Beetle replacement chassis with fixed suspension geometry (apart from front camber adjustment) place it in a completely different context and then expect it to work with an Audi V8 is asking a lot!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!