Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4.2 v8 Avante build

And we should avoid talk of transfering chassis numbers and other dodgy pastimes on an open forum.....
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    And we should avoid talk of transferring chassis numbers and other dodgy pastimes on an open forum.....
    Totally agree, 'ringing' and chassis number 'tinkering' could spell disaster down the line as the DVLA and police take a VERY dim view and it could end with offending vehicle being crushed.

( I can't read mine as it's hidden under the false rear bulkhead, Hmmmm, better think on that one for the future).

Whilst there is no specification for a MoT inspector to follow when a Q plate car is involved, it being a 'bitsa', they ARE supposed to cross check the VIN with the docs. at least that's what they told us at Hendon when I got my MoT testers number, (back in 1971) and I don't think things got any more lenient since.
    They certainly do here and if they can't read it, they fail it,

As a new chassis probably doesn't come with a number at all I can't see why one couldn't use the old one as VW chassis numbers are not VIN as such, although they do appear on the V5c.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

One of the very few things we don’t allow discussion of on the forum.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I’m watching 😂
    In all serious, the best way is to verify the chassis and get the V5 that way.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post
    +1 for getting the V5C before pouring money and time into this project.

A related question.
    If you have a car that is registered something like VW Nova, how far can you go modification wise before you get problems with the DVLA?
    An example, my Eagle is registered as VW Eagle SS and its on a Q plate. Could I replace the VW chassis with a new pie buggy one?
    […]

These are tough questions man.

>> If you have a car that is registered something like VW Nova,
    >> how far can you go modification wise before you get problemswith the DVLA?

This question isn't answered on the DVLA website, various modification scenarios are described here:
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration
    But not the one you are asking about; so you'll have to ask DLVA for clarification.

>> An example, my Eagle is registered as VW Eagle SS and it’s on a Q plate.
    >> Could I replace the VW chassis with a new pie buggy one?

The underlying question is, can you make more changes to a Q Plate car vs an age related Plate car?
    It's a good question, again it's one for DVLA.
    They won't allow a chassis change though, unless it's like-for-like, i.e. replace a rusted-out VW pan with a new one.

Q Reg = Historically this means a car made from bits - no single donor vehicle.
    So DVLA don't know anything about it(?) so how do they enforce their 'change limiting' rules?

Right now, featured in a kit car magazine, someone is building a mid-engined Avante on VW Pan, double-wishbone suspension, lots of bells & whistles.
    I doubt that car will be IVA'd, so it's staying on a V5C (?) Presumably the guys on the magazine know what they are doing - but I find that quite amazing! And I think we can all learn from it.

Will certainly be interesting to keep tabs on that one Steve.

I think those of us on a Q plate but registered as a Nova or Eagle not a VW will have more scope for change than an age related registration as that was awarded on a points bases related to original parts, a Q plate isn't so for instance there is nothing to say mine has a VW chassis and as long as the tester can see the same number on the chassis (should he be bothered to look) as is in the log book he is not to be any the wiser.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl