Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brooklands New Year's Day Gathering

Fantastic. I never tire of seeing a quality Nova on video.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Not as good as the video you posted Lauren, but the Green Machine appears briefly in this one too (6:39 to 7:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZETHhZpOs

and if you're really quick, you'll see you coming into the site at 8:01 to 8:02 in the time lapse film of cars entering the site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9Q44q0V0A

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 07-01-2020 at 11:13 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

and if you're really quick, you'll see you coming into the site at 8:01 to 8:02 in the time lapse film of cars entering the site!

Alistair

You need to spend more time in your garage

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    You need to spend more time in your garage

Dirk
    You’re right Dirk ... unfortunately today I’ve got to replace a wheel bearing in my daughter’s DS3 ... however, at least my press is getting used!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Not as good as the video you posted Lauren, but the Green Machine appears briefly in this one too (6:39 to 7:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZETHhZpOs

Alistair
    Thanks Alistair - yes, I did see the car on these videos but as you say it appears so fleetingly it didn't seem worth linking...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Brooklands New Years Day 2020 – the official report!

OK, so it’s a couple of weeks late, on account of my using 35mm film and having to find a new development lab, but hopefully you will find the results worth the wait.

Because it was such a gloomy, overcast day I thought I would use B&W film throughout, as it really lends atmosphere to the occasion. Besides, high resolution digital photography is so over-rated

So, what have we got?

A Mini Jem, as I live and breathe! You can see the aspirational Aston-Martin rear wheel arches as well as the signature grille. No relation to AM, as far as I know…

You would never think the Green Machine was green in this photograph. I love the atmosphere – all the cars around me are from the late ‘70s or earlier, it could almost be a race meeting from 1979… Brands Hatch perhaps

I snapped this Droop Snoot earlier in the year, but unlike that photograph, this has a real vintage feel. I’m loving 35mm again!

...Although I will have to get a bit more practice, some of these pictures are betraying a lack of talent!

JPS Lotus Europa…

And speaking of Lotus, here is the best example of the Lotus Esprit – Series 1 in white with a green tartan interior – fabulous!

Well lookie here – a UVA Fugitive no less. Still running VW power and running gear, but as you can see the front suspension is a bit more sophisticated…

I love these old Datsuns – this is a Laurel L200, it’s like a early 1970s Nissan Skyline in miniature. The period JDM wing mirrors look superb as well, I’m sure they would work well on a Nova

I also love these little Hondas – not so much for their looks, but have you heard the engine???

https://youtu.be/ViAM7AHheJg

I would NEVER EVER tire of that – just going down to the shops would be like being in a F1 race!

...And keeping things Oriental, how about this 2nd Generation Toyota Celica Liftback?

I really liked this big Ford Granada. Painted a vibrant period orange with lowered suspension and banded factory steel wheels, it had real presence.

Or how about this Chevy Corvair Monza SS? Great looking car, and with just enough suspension tweaks to keep Ralph Nadar off your back… as well as keeping you right side up!

It’s the “last of the V8 Interceptors...”

Here’s a really nice early Pontiac Firebird, in a deep metallic green. The driver was telling me he is only the second owner from new, a real time machine. No custom modifications whatsoever, which is very refreshing to see on an American car!

This tiny Buckler was built locally (in Reading I think) and is the original aluminium-bodied prototype from bodywork maestros Williams & Pritchard. Note placement of racing footwear under the rear of the car, in case it rains. Yes, these owners are real pros!

OK, what’s this then? It’s a Mk1 Capri, obviously, but the small print says it is one of the legendary South African smallblock V8 Peranas. Unfortunately it seems like the owner got fed up with explaining that it isn’t a 1300L with a Rover V8 shoved in and covered it in non-standard V8 badges. No further explanation was necessary when he fired up the 302 c.i. (5-litre) engine though!

Late ‘70s Marcos was lovely…

And how about this for rarity? A Costin Amigo. One of only 7 cars I believe, all with the classic Frank Costin design traits – not very pretty but incredibly aerodynamic and using “God’s plastic”, a wooden chassis with a fibreglass body encasing a Vauxhall Victor engine and running gear. As you can see, Costin even repurposed the ugly exposed upper door hinge as a cabin ventilation air intake. Together with the additional intakes along the roof leading edge, you can see why I was so pleased that the Green Machine windows weren’t steamed up at all!

Speaking of cars you don’t see every day, a BMW 2000 estate. Quite a cool looking motor, especially on those period perfect J A Pierce alloys.

Austin Swallow hardtop. I love the bokeh effect I get shooting with really slow shutter speeds on this overcast day. The streetlamps in the adjoining Heights car park look for all the world like pre-war telegraph poles stretching into the distance…

This orange Marcos Mantis you have seen before. This Dennis Adams designed full four seater is nowhere near as pretty as its contemporaries like the Lamborghini Espada or the Ferrari 400, nor does its Triumph 2.5 PI engine give it class-leading performance, but even in the company of some very expensive modern Astons, it does have presence…

Final batch now…

A tidy 911…

...Weirdly, my favourite Celica of the day (just needs JDM wing mirrors instead of those door mounted ones)…

...An unusual take on the white Pantera we have seen before…

...And the first of the V8 Interceptors (because Mad Max was released in 1979, some 15 years after the Jensen first wowed the crowds).

So that was it. According to the museum there were 1250 cars at the show, but apparently the 5,000 show-goers was less than previous years, leading some to comment that it wasn’t as busy. I will leave you to make up your own mind...

only Pythagoras can save me now!

Blog Entries
    Some great pics, thanks for posting.
    The Granada and Corvair were my Favs.
    I always liked the simplicity of the UVA Fugitive- nice.
    Last edited by steve; 18-01-2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Corvair not Corsair !

Great photos Lauren. I like your choice of B&W rather than colour ... with the ages of the cars, it really works!

That wee Honda (in the video) sounded great ... but I wonder how long its wee engine would last going at 9000rpm to and from the shops!?!

In know I'm biased, but if you flick through the photos quickly to get a flavour of them all the Grey Machine still stands out in the crowd ... and I'm sure it stood out all the more as the Green Machine!!

Alistair

As always great photos thanks for sharing.

Dirk

Love the pictures, my favorites are your nova, the interceptor, the fugitive and the pantera.
    If I had the funds and space, I'd own one of each!