Thread: Sound deadening ... any recommendations?

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar

Sound deadening ... any recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm reading about Simon Skelding's mid engined Avante in the Feb 2020 issue of Complete Kit Car and whilst the body was still off the chassis he installed 'Dynamat' sound deadening material to the floopans.

I don't know whether he intends to install more material to the inside of the cockpit, but this got me thinking....

1. Has anyone else used sound deadening on their builds, and is it worth it?

2. Dynamat's fairly expensive, so has anyone used alternative materials, and if so how did they perform?

Cheers, Alistair

Great subject for discussion Alistair. My car is very noisy inside, not just engine noise (which I don't actually mind) but all the creaks and noises that are mainly caused by the roof. I'm pretty sure my last Nova felt a lot more refined, but it was carpeted and the interior was trimmed using foam padding wrapped with faux leather which must have helped to dampen the noise. This is something I hope to address on my present car so looking forward to reading about ideas and suggestions to refine the driving experience.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I would also be interested to know if they reduce noise in the cabin.

I have seen similar sound deadening sheets used on TV build shows; Gas Monkey Garage and Wheeler Dealers, on the latter they did a Before and After check with a Db meter and found a decent reduction in noise, can't remember the car they tried it on.

When Beetles came out of the factory they had 'Tar boards' bonded to the floorpans under the front and rear mats, you can still buy replacements from VW Heritage.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I have seen similar sound deadening sheets used on TV build shows; Gas Monkey Garage and Wheeler Dealers, on the latter they did a Before and After check with a Db meter and found a decent reduction in noise, can't remember the car they tried it on.
    It was a Chevy stepside pickup, and you're right, the improvement was significant - around 10 dB or more from memory (dB is a logarithmic scale, so a 3 dB improvement is half the power; 6 dB is half again...)

The tar pads used to be used on lots of vehicles to stop drumming noise on large unsupported panels. I remember my old Maxi had them dotted about. Sound deadening is heavy though - do you really need the interior of a Nova to be that quiet? My floorpans are probably even noisier than a Beetle, but with thin carpet glued down all I can hear is engine noise

I gave up on in-car entertainment (other than DRF - Drivers Right Foot) many years ago!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

There are Dynamat alternatives on the market. It's basically a butyl 12x12 sheet I believe. I am planning to put some on my floors at the very least. I was also thinking about using sheets of EVA foam to trim the inside of the cockpit. It can be carved, then heat sealed with a hi-temp heat gun. From there you can spray it with Plasti-dip. From there it can be rattle can painted or even acrylic paints, then clear or matte finished. It can be purchased in a variety of thickness. I'll probably use 10mm foam to line the sides and back of the cabin (maybe even the foot well). I'm not sure just yet how I'll secure it to the fiberglass, but I think that should also provide some sound deadening and for much cheaper than Dynamat type materials.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Haven't got to this point yet but my curiosity got the better of me.

Apparently there are numerous home made solutions to sound deadening out there.

According to information on the internet a popular brand "lizard skin" is nothing more than latex paint and micro balloons mixed together, which can be made for a fraction of the cost as the product sells for.

another is a product call "peel and seal" which can be bought for a fraction of the cost compared to "Dynamat", but after some research the "peel and seal" is only 45 mil thick compared to "dynamat" 85 mil thick.

I wonder if that spray on/or rolled on bed liner solution mix with micro balloons would make a good sound deadening solution.

That's a great idea, Brett. As long as the micro balloons don't clog up the nozzle, it should spray just fine and provide great protection for the raw fiberglass. I wonder what the ratio of bed liner to balloons would be though, or even the ratio of latex paint to balloons. 90/10? 80/20?
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Am right in thinking that Dynamat (or similar) stick-on patches
    are best used on metal surfaces i.e. the floorpans on our cars?

Are the requirements different for soundproofing fibreglass panels/bulkheads?
    What is best material to use on the rear bulkhead behind the driver & passenger seat?
    and to 'block off' the area above the petrol tank, under the rear window tunnel?

I always use roofing tape on my floor pans. Cheap enough by the roll and it takes about 2 rolls to do both sides (about $35 us). Nice thing is you can fill your floor up with water and it will never rust out a pan. I just carpet right over it.

• Measures 6 in. W x 25 ft. L
    • Measures 1.27 mm thick
    • Applications include roof flashing, chimneys, ducts, vents, eaves, roof valleys, roof tile installations, gutters, pipe flashing, skylight installations and RV/trailer/vehicle care
    • Composed with 3-layer system of aluminum, bitumen and backing
    • Waterproof and heat reflective aluminum color

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProForce...2AW6/305175238
    Last edited by ratrog64; 08-01-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    That's a great idea, Brett. As long as the micro balloons don't clog up the nozzle, it should spray just fine and provide great protection for the raw fiberglass. I wonder what the ratio of bed liner to balloons would be though, or even the ratio of latex paint to balloons. 90/10? 80/20?
    I was thinking of using the gel coat gun to spray it on.

From my thinking on the ratio I think I'd make it the consistency of gel coat or a little thicker so it wont sag on vertical surfaces.

Here's the link on the discussion I found

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alt...in-103610.html

And a link to the micro balloons

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=3028012

For the latex paint version they talked about getting something that was mixed and wasn't sold. Price could be more than 1/2 off.

I never got through the complete posting. I got to the 3rd page and that was it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ratrog64 View Post
    I always use roofing tape on my floor pans. Cheap enough by the roll and it takes about 2 rolls to do both sides (about $35 us). Nice thing is you can fill your floor up with water and it will never rust out a pan. I just carpet right over it.

• Measures 6 in. W x 25 ft. L
    • Measures 1.27 mm thick
    • Applications include roof flashing, chimneys, ducts, vents, eaves, roof valleys, roof tile installations, gutters, pipe flashing, skylight installations and RV/trailer/vehicle care
    • Composed with 3-layer system of aluminum, bitumen and backing
    • Waterproof and heat reflective aluminum color

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProForce...2AW6/305175238
    Sounds just about like the same stuff.

https://www.mfmbp.com/peel-seal

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...Seal+09-19.pdf