Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering another Nova project..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Phill,

In fact, if the join between the canopy and the body was 'de-seamed' so that it looks more like one solid body ....

Alistair
    Something else to consider
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    From what you are saying I should register the car in my name and apply for historic vehicle status before undertaking the build?
    Yes, get it all done beforehand as it is easier to prove it is a genuine re-body and not a bespoke build that would need BIVA.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Yes I really like that Lauren. My version doesn't quite work for me at the back of the canopy whereas I think your treatment looks much better. However, I was also thinking the roof could become a permanent fixture (non opening) with entry over the sides - your version would need a small step (as per fighter jet) to get into the car (which itself would be an interesting feature), or you retain the opening roof - perhaps even hinge from the front like a Puma?
    I was assuming the use of the existing canopy hydraulics, but if the car was to be permanently open I would convert to gas rams I think. Stepping over the side wouldn't be an option in my proposal, as I would close the canopy surround and wind deflector so that the minimum amount of interior was exposed. My inspiration is the McLaren M6B CanAm car, and its contemporaries, like the Chapparral 2E, both of which had little flop-down doors to allow entry.

Speaking of the Puma, I noticed that the Isdera Spyder also has a flip-forward surround, only split down the middle so that driver and passenger can get in and out individually...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...a_spyder_3.jpg

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I may be wrong but I thought an open top was made by the Oz company selling the Eureka, and I think all the molds where bought by an owner over there?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I may be wrong but I thought an open top was made by the Oz company selling the Eureka, and I think all the molds where bought by an owner over there?

Dirk

There was one called the Freedom which more or less did away with the canopy, it had a small wind deflector in the front, but I'm not sure if it actually made it into production

fm3.jpg

fm5.jpg

More common was the style of open top that retained the full screen

eureka.jpg

Eureka-McAdam5.jpg

I'm afraid there is quite a difference between simply removing the canopy and preserving the original aesthetic. The Freedom machine looks like a very poor effort to me, like the Siva Spyder (S160 without the gullwing doors), or the Eagle Plus 2 (Eagle SS with gullwings removed and a Cortina front screen) - a simple removal of the roof and doors to save money. All a bit of an afterthought

Plus, the Freedom machine may have been a good idea Down Under (at least in the sunnier states), but here in the UK you would feel very exposed without some proper side and forward bodywork around you. But don't take my word for it - get a friend (or significant other) to help remove your canopy and see for yourself. The Nova is not in any way reliant on the canopy for its structural integrity. Try before you buy

Lauren

The Beetle I highlighted on ebay at the start of this thread sold for £449 which was slightly under my budgeted figure of £500. On that basis I reckon it should still be possible to build a new Nova using a second hand bodyshell complete with all reconditioned parts for under £5000. And a fullybuilt road legal car must surely be worth a lot more than that?

Found this - a gallant attempt but the windscreen is awful and the frontal treatment should have continued along the sides as Lauren indicated earlier

nova.jpg

I rest my case. Absolutely shocking

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    I can’t help but notice the huge aerodynamic contradiction of the windscreen with the rear spoiler!