Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Scotland

Hello from Scotland

Hello, thanks for letting me join. I've had my Nova for 5 years in May and in that time all I've managed to do is remove the engine, and occasionally sit in it and make "brum brum" noises. (sit in the car that is, not the engine!) Anyhow, I've hopefully attached 2 pictures which shows my Nova, and I'd really like to know a bit about it if anyone is able to help. I suspect it's a MK1, but not entirely sure. And yes, it is sitting up a bit at the back, mainly as the engine is out. And then comes the dilemma. After 5 years of doing nothing apart from cutting the paint and removing the engine, I find myself at the crossroads of restore or sell. I've just acquired a Beetle which has now donated its (running, sort of) engine in order to kick start putting the Nova back on the road, but sometime I think it'd be better in someone elses hands to carry out whatever work is required. It's never been restored and has been laid up for about 22 years but you wouldn't think it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum.
    There are a few members in Scotland so you should await their input and guidance.
    They will be in contact, trust me 👍

Hi and welcome to the forum. Whereabouts are you? Dunfermline by any chance? I would love to come and see your car as there are so few of them left in Scotland now. I particularly like the wheels - they're the same as the ones I had on my first Nova and much nicer than the Wolfrace Turbovecs that they resemble. I don't think your car is a Mk1 though as it has the Elam era rear bumper.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    No sooner said than done Mark!! ... and you just beat me to it Phill !!

A very warm welcome to the Forum, Breakishnick!

There are about 4 of us in Scotland ... Gmacz is in Arbroath and is road going, Phill is in Livingston and is also road going, Saint is down in the Borders near Carlisle and is building his own chassis for an original Mk2 body he got up north last year, and I'm just outside St Andrews in the middle of a full body off restoration.

I've had my Nova since 1986 and she's been off the road since 1991. I went through the same thinking as yourself (restore vs sell) and with the support and encouragement I received on the Forum I decided to restore. you can find my thread at .... http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-for-a-rebuild!

I've not heard from Gmacz or Saint for a while but Phill and I keep in contact and visit each other from time to time. I'm biased but I'd recommend restore rather than sell. Perhaps it would help if we met up? I'm sure Phill would be keen to meet up too. Where abouts are you? We'd be happy to come to you, but equally you could come to us and hopefully get some inspiration from seeing another Nova?

Your Nova looks like a Mk2 going by the rear bumper!

Cheers, Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 20-01-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, Nice Pics and interesting to hear about the vehicle.
    Looks like the Scottish mafia are already onto you ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Nice Pics and interesting to hear about the vehicle.
    Looks like the Scottish mafia are already onto you ;-)

well,thank you all for the welcome, I'm actually a bit far from anywhere, Isle of Skye to be precise. Now, all the info I have on my Nova, just to see if its been around the scene beforehand. It's registered as TPP 247J, not the black plate as in my first pictures. It came from a chap in Bedford who had ran it up until the late 90's and parked it up in his drive, i think due to its "ahem" practicality as a daily runabout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Wow that's proper north.
    Looks more like a Mk 1 from that angle.
    Just curious, is there a name/VIN plate in the front compartment?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Wow that's proper north.
    Looks more like a Mk 1 from that angle ....
    Steve, even within Scotland that's proper north!

I agree re Mk1 ... the Mk1 nostrils bonnet (How I would love one of these! ... eventually I'll get my hands on one, or at least be able to take a mould from one) and the Mk1 dash pod in the earlier photo. I suspect the Mk2 rear bumper has been a late addition.

Breakishnick, you had Phill and I really worried with that reg number last night. Thank goodness the DVLA knows it's a VW. What's the chassis like? Has the Nova been dry stored or outside? I assume the last photo was taken when you got her 5 years ago and the first 2 photos are more recent (after you've cut the paint)

Regarding "restore or sell?" ... it depends how keen you are to spend time on her. It looks like you've got the body looking nice and red, so it shouldn't take much more to get an engine fitted and get her back on the road.

However, I thought my Nova would be OK because she sat in my garage since about 1994 and basically looked a bit dusty. Closer inspection revealed rotten floor pans and rust in the frame head. I could just see the £'s mounting up but with the support of the guys and gals on the Forum I bought myself a decent mig welder and practiced, practiced, practiced until I was confident that I could produce a strong consistent weld. My body off restoration is taking longer than I'd hoped (I've not done anything much for the past 6 months) but I'm still glad I decided to restore.

It's a pity you're so far north but you can be sure that you'd get lost of moral support, advice and encouragement from the active members of the Forum, and there are plenty of really experienced folk on here who can help with anything you're not sure of.

Your reg number sounds vaguely familiar to me (I've had my Nova since 1986/7) but I've had a look through old photos and can't find it.

Anyway, all the best whichever way you decide to go,

Alistair

Just been out to have a look, no ID plate visible under front compartment, or anywhere else obvious. However, twin pod dash and the open air ducts below the nosecone, does this point at a MK1? If it wasn't dark I'd get a few better pictures, its stored in an insulated container and has only seen the light of day 3 or 4 times in my ownership. Rear lights are moulded onto the shell, if that makes any sense, ie not bolted to a separate moulding