Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Scotland

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Open air ducts below the nosecone as well? ... that's 3 features of a Mk1 that you've got, and just 1 feature of the Mk2. My money's on her being a Mk1

Open Air ducts below the cone, twin pod dash BUT, I stand corrected on the rear light setup. On closer inspection it is a separate moulding, can't work out what the lights are off but it's not MK1 Cavalier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Breakishnick View Post
    Open Air ducts below the cone, twin pod dash BUT, I stand corrected on the rear light setup. On closer inspection it is a separate moulding, can't work out what the lights are off but it's not MK1 Cavalier.
    The wrap around bumper (which has the lights fixed to it) can be removed. The whole bumper and lights are Mk2 equipment. Once removed you'll have a rear similar to Phill's ... he fixed round lights straight to the rear panel that lies under the bumper. The Mk1 has the same (or very similar) rear section (ie without the bumper) but has a normally black fibreglass section which has the number plate and lights attached to it ... have a look at Lauren's 'Green Machine' as her Nova is affectionately called. Her handle on the Forum is 'Spacenut'.

Alistair

Aha, so are we looking at a MK1 with perhaps a MK2 rear moulding? I've no build data at all on the car, but perhaps it's been modified at some point in it's life for whatever reason? I've no build plate or other ID that I can see.

Yes, it looks very much like a Mk1 which has had a Mk2 rear bumper fitted .... can’t think why because imho the Mk1 looks far better.

So what are your initial thoughts re restore vs sell?

I think (if I ever get a spare moment) I'll unbolt the back bumper and see if there is anything going on beneath. Still 50/50 on the restore or sell, It's 5 years in my ownership, sometime I think I'd be better passing it on to someone with a bit more time on there hands, and then use the money to buy a TR7 or something. However, where am I going to get another Nova from? Ever again? And it's in quite good order, a couple of months of weekends may well have it all done. It's tricky. sell it and regret it, sell it and move on to something else, keep it and do nothing, keep it and do what it needs and then sell it as I realise 6'3 in a low roof isn't any fun. And I'm picky about who I sell stuff to, it's have to be someone I'm happy with that takes it. If I sell it!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    6’3, talk to island man.
    I think he is taller!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    OK, that is a pity about the VIN Tag.
    The Tag usually has a body number and date of manufacture.

The lights on your car are generic units, not from a specific vehicle, they were used on HGVs, articulated Lorries etc.
    These units were sold by Nova Cars in the mid-80s because they were a good fit for their Mk2 wrap around bumper. So the bumper and lights were likely purchased together from Nova Cars.

I did the same for my first car back in the day, it was also a Mk1.

I did it because the Mk1 rear body panel had no flat surfaces, ditto with the Mk1 rear light (bumper) panel, so there was no easy way to attach the two together. The Mk2 panel fitted a lot better and the lights were nice IMO and could be glassed in easily as well.

Nova_88_lowres.jpg

I agree that the Mk1 has aged better, but I do have a soft spot for the Mk2 set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakishnick View Post
    I think (if I ever get a spare moment) I'll unbolt the back bumper and see if there is anything going on beneath. Still 50/50 on the restore or sell, It's 5 years in my ownership, sometime I think I'd be better passing it on to someone with a bit more time on there hands, and then use the money to buy a TR7 or something. However, where am I going to get another Nova from? Ever again? And it's in quite good order, a couple of months of weekends may well have it all done. It's tricky. sell it and regret it, sell it and move on to something else, keep it and do nothing, keep it and do what it needs and then sell it as I realise 6'3 in a low roof isn't any fun. And I'm picky about who I sell stuff to, it's have to be someone I'm happy with that takes it. If I sell it!
    Breakishnick,

5 years in ownership is actually quite 'young' on here. I've had mine since 1986/7, but I took her off the road in 1991.

Recently 'Mikemrb' introduced himself on the Forum and told us he'd owned his Nova for 42 years (!!). He says that he's been all round Europe (France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium) in her, but unfortunately for some years she's been off the road due to other projects. His new year’s resolution is to give it a complete body off rebuild and I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it!

It sounds like your Nova shouldn't take too much to get going again. However, have you checked out the chassis and floor pans yet? Assuming they're ok, my strong recommendation would be restore because you're right ... you'll struggle to find another for sale that's so close to being road legal. Restore her, have fun driving her, and then decide whether or not to sell her. In any event prices have been rising in recent years due to their rarity, and a road legal Nova will be worth a lot more than a one which isn't.

Alistair

Yes I agree that's a very desirable car you have there Breakishnick (or can we call you Nick?).

The front bonnet and roof all point towards a Mk1 but could have been an Early Elam era Mk1 as the wheels (which are gorgeous by the way with their deeper dish- I think they're Keystone Turbomaster) and wing mirrors date from the 80's. Is the finish painted or Gel Coat red? Best of all you have a sound screen - any signs of delamination around the edges?

If I were you I'd hang on to it otherwise one day you'll regret selling it. I bought my current car in 2007 but didn't get around to re-storing it until fairly recently and only got it back on the road last year.

As Alistair says - you could simply unbolt the rear bumper panel (no one seems to have a good word for it these days) and replace it with light units that you could fit directly to the rear panel instead. But I must admit I don't mind it at all and nearly fitted a bumper to my car during my restoration.

Good luck whatever you decide to do - and keep us informed. Better still, post some more pictures of the car including the interior.

PS - if you did decide to sell - how much would you be looking for?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns