Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Scotland

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

PS - if you did decide to sell - how much would you be looking for?
    Stop it Phill ... You've already got a road legal one, and an open top project in the making! Surely Alison won't let you get another, or even think about getting another?

Thanks chaps. All forms of encouragement are greatly received, if I get time I'll see if I can drag it out and get some better pictures. As re the MK1/2 thing, it's purely out of curiousity and is nice to know that it's either, or both. And as far as restoring or moving it on to a new home, it's maybe erring towards selling, maybe 60/40%. Maybe not, who knows? It's not that I'm not wanting to restore it, or keep it, but sometimes life just gets in the way of things. Or maybe a few weekends of lying underneath a 71 floorpan will be alright, who knows?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi there Breakishnick, welcome to the forum.

I would concur with the Mk1 - there are a couple of other good giveaways - the roofline above the windscreen is very flat, this was raised on the Mk2 to give a bit more headroom. Also, if the canopy has dowel pegs and circular moulded locating recepticles in the top of the bodywork, then it is a Mk1. It is possible that your car is an Elam Mk1 with an optional Mk2 bumper, I understand that there was some mixing and matching of parts as the Mk1 gave way to the Mk2. The earlier ADD cars had the production serial number moulded into the inner front wing under the bonnet. Elam era cars had a chassis plate which was pop riveted onto the panel in the same location, but (as in my case) went missing. If there is no evidence of a serial number under the bonnet the balance of evidence would suggest that it is an Elam Mk1.

I am biased too, but I would say keep it - Novas, particularly ones in good overall condition as yours appears to be, are getting very thin on the ground.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Hi welcome to the forum, we are obviously all biased keep it and get it back on the road

We are also very nosy and look at the details held on the DVLA with number plates (or is it just me)

The black one was a bit surprising but now we know, anyway proper reg comes up as model Unknown
    if you are wanting to sell the car there is a premium to be paid for a properly registered car. It would only take a simple letter to the correct department with a few photos and you will get the model changed to Nova with no issues. Send it to:

Ms Sharon Knight
    Kits & Rebuilds
    D4
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1AN

Even if you are keeping it you should do it.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    6í3, talk to island man.
    I think he is taller!
    yup 6í 4Ē. But 5 inch lowered floor pans...... itís doable if you keep the seat bases as thin as possible and mounted directly to the floor....just...LOL

I've never done anything with the logbook, it'll scrape by for the rest of it's days as nearly correctly registered as VW Sports. I've a bit of paperwork with it but no actual date of build but I'm suspecting somewhere around the late 80's/early 90's but thats not to say it was completed around then but bought many years before that. To sell it and move on to something else? Whats it worth? Complete car, good screen, bodywork good , 1600 engine with alleged 3500k since rebuild but stripped down (stuck when I bought car) 1300cc spare engine that was running on Sunday morning, snazzy wheels, very good interior, funky MGA (I think) contrasting loback bucket seats. I haven't a clue of it's actual value. I know what I'd like but then it's only worth what someone will pay, and if I do bite the bullet to sell it I might offer it here first as, through previous experience, there are a lot of absolute idiots on ebay.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakishnick View Post
    I've never done anything with the logbook, it'll scrape by for the rest of it's days as nearly correctly registered as VW Sports. I've a bit of paperwork with it but no actual date of build but I'm suspecting somewhere around the late 80's/early 90's but thats not to say it was completed around then but bought many years before that. To sell it and move on to something else? Whats it worth? Complete car, good screen, bodywork good , 1600 engine with alleged 3500k since rebuild but stripped down (stuck when I bought car) 1300cc spare engine that was running on Sunday morning, snazzy wheels, very good interior, funky MGA (I think) contrasting loback bucket seats. I haven't a clue of it's actual value. I know what I'd like but then it's only worth what someone will pay, and if I do bite the bullet to sell it I might offer it here first as, through previous experience, there are a lot of absolute idiots on ebay.
    Hi 'Nick',

I've been collecting details of Novas advertised for sale over the past few years. Every one is different, and of course it's only worth what someone will pay for it at that particular time.

Based on the information I've collected, a basic body with decent screen could expect to get about £1k. A complete Nova with a V5 but requiring a rebuild or finishing could expect to get about £2k - £3k depending on the amount of work required. However, a road legal Nova in good condition could expect to get about £5k - £6k, and if the car was exceptional (ie concours with a water cooled engine, 5 speed gearbox and upgraded suspension such as Red9) .... well, who knows?

So, rather than selling to use the money to move on to something else, spending a little time to get your Nova road legal could make sound financial sense .... and you'd have some fun along the way!

Hope that helps, and if anyone else agrees or disagrees with my figures, please chip in!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 22-01-2020 at 11:47 AM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Well, on this Forum we were always going to advise you to keep the car, get it going etc.
    But if you are not feeling it, you should sell-up. This is an all-or-nothing car.

Personally I'd sell one of the Lumps separately, if the 1300 is a runner then that will get you good money.
    Sell the vehicle with the 1600 lump; It is a decent fit for the car, and it doesn't have to be running for a project car.

If the screen is intact with no de-lamination (white marks around the edges), then that is a saving of GBP 1k right there.

It won't hurt to offer it on this forum first.

Agree with some of the previous posts:
    If the floorpan and framehead (i.e. chassis) is solid, then the car has a lot going for it.

Get the V5 right, a few of us in similar situations have done this, it's easy and it is a selling point.

Well, another day of thinking it over, and no further forward. Again, thanks for the encouragement. I'm hopefully (weather permitting) going to take it out of storage, get some more pictures and get a look underneath to see exactly what I'm dealing with. Since bought I've never had a really good prod around underneath other than when it was on the trailer 5 years ago. So, as long as the chap who is taking away the knackered beetle that is cluttering up the garage turn up on saturday I'll hopefully get on to it on Sunday.

Iím very interested.....

Quote Originally Posted by Breakishnick View Post
    Well, another day of thinking it over, and no further forward. Again, thanks for the encouragement. I'm hopefully (weather permitting) going to take it out of storage, get some more pictures and get a look underneath to see exactly what I'm dealing with. Since bought I've never had a really good prod around underneath other than when it was on the trailer 5 years ago. So, as long as the chap who is taking away the knackered beetle that is cluttering up the garage turn up on saturday I'll hopefully get on to it on Sunday.
    Iím a new member and Iím very interested in your car. Iíve never owned one before, but I have a Ď62 Rochdale Olympic so Iím familiar with older kit cars and Fiberglass, and Iíve messed around with little British sports cars for nearly 50 years now.

Iím in Glasgow, practically local, and would like to come see it sometime, if youíre willing to let me.

If you wish to contact me outside the forum, please email:

James.Wilson@glasgow.ac.uk

Even if you decide to keep it Iíd really like the chance to see it (or anyoneís, really)

Thanks

James