Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova sees Daylight

Nova sees Daylight

Well, I've nudged the Nova out of its hibernation, had a quick once over, nowhere near as bad as I'd expect for a 71 beetle underneath. And now big decision time........
    Yes, it's pretty special, probably never manage to find another one if I parted with it, but, maybe now is the time to sell it if, and only if, the price is right. I'm not greedy, but I can't afford to give it away. There's a potential house move in the next couple of years, I've a campervan that I need to justify keeping, I've very little time off in the summer, and the list goes on.

So, would anyone be genuinely interested in it? My time on this forum has been very short but the information and advice I've received has been very helpful, I don't want to appear as someone who is just here to make a quick sale, it could always go back into it's little house for another 5 years and then I have to think about it all over again. All these pictures are current, being taken this morning.83581051_218015609359445_4617627345472192512_n.jpg83581051_218015609359445_4617627345472192512_n.jpg83581051_218015609359445_4617627345472192512_n.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Put it back in the house, it will only appreciate.

I'm only saying that as I am the other end of the country !

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I have not had the chance to work on my car for the last couple of years (long story), body off full refurb, almost ready to re-fit the bodywork. I may have been tempted to sell except for the fact that I did have it on the road many, many years ago and nothing would now make me part with it - driving a Nova is a total experience in all ways! `¬) The car is in secure dry location and even if it takes me until I retire to get her back on the road I know that the selling value would not be even close to the value of my big grin driving again on the road.

I understand if you want to sell yours on, but if you have somewhere to store her where she will not deteriate then it will be worth while in the long run!

Good luck with whichever way you go; if you sell then someone will be getting a very good start to having a road going Nova `¬)

I've just spent the last hour or so standing looking at it in the garage and weighing up the pros and cons, of which there are plenty of each. However, and without wanting to appear a total numpty, I think I could sell it if it makes enough to replace it with something maybe a tad more practical. I'd like a million pounds for it, but to be honest, and going on advice I've listened to on this forum. I'd be happy at £3k. I'd also be happy at £4k and that allows any potential buyer to haggle a thousand pounds off and everyone is therefore happy.
    So, 1970 Nova/Beetle, registered as a Volkswagen sports.
    AB code 1300 engine as per logbook (I think it may have 1600 barrels and pistons) is all there but stripped
    AB code 1300 also comes with car as a spare or main engine, ran last weekend prior to removal but needs tin/exh etc
    Windscreen absolutely excellent.
    Body good and tidy enough if you like a bit of patina, few bits of gel needing redone due to scraping door in storage.
    Decent interior, seats not fixed down, dash trim etc all good.
    Floors/pans etc all seem sound but may require attention, I'm no expert
    Excellent wheels. Ask away if you've any questions, I don't bite

It's always sad to see an owner sell their car for practical reasons...it's your decision, but are you really sure about it? I saw my first Nova when I was 16 (that was in 1977) and it was love at first sight. It was a long time after that before I bought one, but I had loads of fun for a year before I took it off the road for a rebuild. That was 2004. Work progressed slowly until 2009, then real life got in the way as it does for some...divorce, had to sell the house - and more importantly the garage . Bits went into storage with various friends. I tried selling the project at one point. I finally have a garage again so I'm just restarting my rebuild. I'm damn glad I never managed to sell it tbh
    Mi amas mian Nova

It's not an easy decision, considering the 1200 mile round trip I did to collect it 5 years ago. But, I've never driven it, merely looked at it now and then, pondered over various bits I could do to it, sat in it and made noises etc. However, I'll try selling it via this forum first as it is the kind of thing that attracts the idiots on Ebay . I'm thinking £3k fixed is realistic, although the distance might put some people off. If it doesn't sell, it just goes back in storage.

Given the unhacked look of it, I would say that is a fair price and If I had the time and space would jump at it. So anyone looking for a Nova would struggle to find a better one at that price. Good luck with the sale

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Given the unhacked look of it, I would say that is a fair price and If I had the time and space would jump at it. So anyone looking for a Nova would struggle to find a better one at that price. Good luck with the sale
    I agree with you David.

In fact I mentioned it to 'Mrs Bluenova' who quickly reminded me that I've already got a Nova undergoing a full body off rebuild ("so when will it be finished then Alistair, come on, when?!?!"), and the garage is cluttered with the Nova & lots of tools on one side, and 2 catamarans which haven't seen the water for several years on the other ("so what are you doing about them then Alistair?!?!, come on, what are you going to do about them then??? ... and then there's the old 4x4 sitting in the driveway which needs to go to that scrapyard in the sky"). OK, OK, OK, 'Mrs Bluenova', I get it!!!

Anyway, best of luck with your sale 'Nick' .... but secretly I hope it just goes back in storage and you find the time and motivation to complete her when the time is right.

Cheers, Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 26-01-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Well chaps, I'll make up a better "for sale" advert and put it on the correct forum section. And yes, not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but it is a pretty good un-hacked and unmolested example that I'm sure someone could perhaps love a bit more than I have. If not, then back in the store it goes and sleeps for another few years. I've this strange hankering for a Rover P6 for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    I have not had the chance to work on my car for the last couple of years (long story), body off full refurb, almost ready to re-fit the bodywork. I may have been tempted to sell except for the fact that I did have it on the road many, many years ago and nothing would now make me part with it - driving a Nova is a total experience in all ways! `¬) The car is in secure dry location and even if it takes me until I retire to get her back on the road I know that the selling value would not be even close to the value of my big grin driving again on the road.

I understand if you want to sell yours on, but if you have somewhere to store her where she will not deteriate then it will be worth while in the long run!

Good luck with whichever way you go; if you sell then someone will be getting a very good start to having a road going Nova `¬)
    Believe me, when you retire you will wonder how you ever found time for work you will be that busy, I have been trying 'to retire' for 8 years!

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl