Thread: Volvo Power Assist Tailgate

Volvo Power Assist Tailgate

Came across this a while back and it intrigued me so much that I still am considering using it.

I was going through the salvage yard(I think your term is breakers yard) one day looking for parts when I came across the section with Volvos. Not to interested in anything Volvo had I did a quick once over and noticed it had a power lift tailgate.

What peaked my curiosity the most was there was no motor in site to lift or lower the tailgate. After further inspection I found that it used a hydraulic system for the lifting but what really got my attention was the location of it. They located it between the roof and the roof panel. A very compact design.

I believe the model was a V70 or a XC70 and the year was around 2008 I think. I haven't been back since to take a closer look at it.

Might be something to look into for those having problems with their hydraulic system. It had one pump and one ram to do the work

Had a little time to do some research on this.

Found this diagram of the system

volvo hydrualic tailgate.jpg

I did get some things wrong when describing it.
    It looks like the pump is located behind a side panel, along with the control module.

Now that I know what to look for and where its located at the next time I go to the yard I'll check it out a little closer.

Edit:

One thing I'm curious about in this system is how they by-passed the hydraulics so the back can be opened so easily manually and what safety features are in it. Oh! wait, thats two things
    Last edited by Brett; 29-01-2020 at 05:55 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Interesting find. I wounder if it would be man enough for the job? I know what we use currently is way more powerful than we need. It looks like there may be a couple of types.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-XC7...53.m1438.l2649

Or maybe the first one just has a plastic cover? At £130 it would be a cheap alternative and its a smaller package if it works.
    Ill look forward to your findings.

Dirk

A similar system is found on the BMW E61 (the estates from the 5 series ~ 2008) The brand is a German company named "Hoerbriger" In Holland is on our Marketplace for 100 Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Had a little time to do some research on this.

Found this diagram of the system

volvo hydrualic tailgate.jpg

I did get some things wrong when describing it.
    It looks like the pump is located behind a side panel, along with the control module.

Now that I know what to look for and where its located at the next time I go to the yard I'll check it out a little closer.

Edit:

One thing I'm curious about in this system is how they by-passed the hydraulics so the back can be opened so easily manually and what safety features are in it. Oh! wait, thats two things
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,

Rob

Illegitimi non carborundum

1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT

Found wiring schematics on the Volvo system and I got a better understanding of the system and the locations of whats needed.

The Volvo system looks more compact, lighter and simpler than the current system that I've been considering.

Found the BMW schematics for their system and it looks to be a little different. Their lifting strut is much more larger than the Volvo's. However the pumps do look close to being the same but there does look to be some differences.

The yards here have 2 of the Volvo models that may have this system in them so when I get some free time I'll go and check them out to see if it will work for our application.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking at the pics again and the compact size, I wonder if the reservoir will hold enough fluid to fill 2 rams? I guess there may be the potential to put a bigger one on if its powerful enough.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking at the pics again and the compact size, I wonder if the reservoir will hold enough fluid to fill 2 rams? I guess there may be the potential to put a bigger one on if its powerful enough.

Dirk
    If fluid capacity is an issue I see no reason why a larger reservoir couldn't be added.

As for it being powerful enough, the system uses one ram to operate the tailgate so I would assume 2 rams should have no problems.

Now that I'm more familiar with the system after going over the diagrams I will give it a thorough once over the next time I find one. The system does have some bells and whistles to it, so if these items are eliminated I wonder if it will like that or cause problems.