Thread: VW Gearbox Adapter Plate

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

VW Gearbox Adapter Plate

Hi guys - I received a query from the Classic Alfa Forum (CAF) regarding the availability of adapter plates to mate the Alfa boxer engine to the VW transaxle. Now, once upon a time such combinations were commonplace, but in recent years the Scooby engine has displaced the Alfa boxer and there does not seem to be any Alfa adapters out there any more...

That is of course unless any of you know different?

I've checked out Hewland adapter plates as well, as the early Hewlands used the VW casing, albeit upside down. No joy there either. US manufacturers such as Kennedy would not be able to help, as the Alfa boxer was never sold in the US.

Any suggestions as to who might still be able to help? Otherwise it looks like a secondhand adapter or scratch-build is the answer.

Thanks everyone!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

My Alfasud to VW adapter kit came from Laser Cars Ltd, I quick google doesn't bring anything up so presumably long since gone out of business

Thanks Dave - I'm pretty sure whoever was making these adapter plates before has now moved on to more lucrative product lines, but thanks for looking!

Mine was from 'GB Engineering'. I can confirm that they do not make them anymore. It was a fight many years ago to get them to make me a thrust bearing after the one on my nova fell off whilst it was being towed (at an angle) without the engine in place. I'd forgotten to remove the bearing and it must have slid off on route! If I had it off the car then I would take measurments / create a template etc. Any good enginnering firm could then copy it. But I don't.

Thanks Giles - I remember your plate came from GB Engineering, it also had the desirable feature of retaining the Alfa clutch and flywheel, but I think you had to get a new input shaft for the gearbox? I can't remember...

Anyway, as you say, Alfa adapter plates are not available new any more, so if my CAF contact wants one they will have to look to the second-hand market or fabricate from scratch.

Lauren

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    CBS had a build blog on the car they produced (i can not remember the name of it) and on that it had a section about building an adapter plate.

Dirk