Thread: Brake connections - copper grease? how tight?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

Brake connections - copper grease? how tight?

When you are connecting up brake lines, do you place some copper grease, WD40 or something else on the threads?
    Or will that cause more problems that it's worth?

How tight do you do the connections to ensure you're making a good seal?
    Any guidelines? You just feel that it's tight enough based on experience, right?

I don't know about others, but I've never needed to use lubricant of any kind when joining brake pipes etc and while I tighten everything up, I ALWAYS do a pressure test after the work is complete.

So far, I've only ever had one failure and that was due to a cracked coupling that only came to light thanks to the aforementioned pressure test.
    Last edited by Gaisa; 07-02-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    I don't know about others, but I've never needed to use lubricant of any kind when joining brake pipes etc and while I tighten everything up, I ALWAYS do a pressure test after the work is complete.

[…]
    Pressure testing is an interesting idea, I like the sound of that.

I just googled and saw the kits available, is that what you use?

If I could devise a low pressure home-brew method I'd give it a go.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

Low pressure method? .... maybe you should hang on to that Waxoyl Pressure Sprayer!

I've never put anything on the threads, and as you said its just a that is thigh enough it doesn't take much and brake fluid will always leak over night if its not tight enough. I have never done any pressure testing but historically on my cars I have always used a Gunston easy bleed, but when I fitted the pedal box to the Avante I could not get the reservoirs to seal tight enough to use the Gunston so you might have the same problem trying to pressure test. As for bleeding now I use a negative pressure system and that works very well.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

Umm...

I believe my choice of words sounded more elaborate than I intended since I usually get away with the low tech method of double checking my joints and making sure all brake calipers and cylinders can't blow out before standing on the brake pedal as hard as I can. (thats what I meant by pressure test)

Loss of pressure would result in the pedal slowly descending to the floorpan and a possible mess on the floor if you don't have a second set of eyes to look out for leakage...

I tend to cheat if I'm alone and after thoroughly cleaning the new coupling, wrap it in a bit of paper towel before doing the "test". If it gets wet, its bad

The failure I mentioned in my last post had a crack down the side of the coupling which only became evident after the aforementioned "pressure test" and even then, it wasn't easy to see since the crack closed up again when the pressure was released.
    Last edited by Gaisa; 07-02-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Umm...

I believe my choice of words sounded more elaborate than I intended since I usually get away with the low tech method of double checking my joints and making sure all brake calipers and cylinders can't blow out before standing on the brake pedal as hard as I can. (thats what I meant by pressure test)
    Hahaha ... good on you Gaisa!! This is a great demonstration of the problems of 'texting' ... maybe we should adopt 'Facetime' for Forum chats so that we can get the full message because they say that 10% of communication is verbal .... and 90% is visual !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hahaha ... good on you Gaisa!! This is a great demonstration of the problems of 'texting' ... maybe we should adopt 'Facetime' for Forum chats so that we can get the full message because they say that 10% of communication is verbal .... and 90% is visual !!!
    Or as my last example proved, things can get lost in translation, even when we speak the same language