Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The rebuild begins

I did order some plastic tags but they didn't arrive so I ended up cutting tags out of plastic milk bottles, hole punching them and using cable ties, and using a permanent marker to I'd them hopefully permanent

Finally found time to actually do something productive and start putting something together ,instead of stripping down the Nova and the Alfa donner car ,spent the afternoon planning the engine/gearbox install on the bare chassis which Iíve put on my small trailer to make it easier to move about .Iíll make a trolley for it later, had to cut the horns off to get the engine in an approx. position ,will need to cut damper arms and spring plates off next but pleased the torsion tube can stay put as will help with rigidity when I build the chassis frame extension
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a sizeable lump, do you know how the weight compares to the beetle engine and gearbox?

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    That is a sizeable lump, do you know how the weight compares to the beetle engine and gearbox?
    Engine is about 40kg more but g/box is lighter, its going to be transverse so not a real problem, the straight 4 alfa twin cam its replacing is not a great deal lighter and that hung off the vw transaxle on an adapter, I didn't really notice any difference as fuel tank and water rads were in the front to balance it up

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Mike - that's an interesting concept you have there. Are you keeping the torsion bars then? If so, are you going to replace the spring plates with fabricated trailing arms, perhaps with a radius link to stop sideways movement? The Alfa driveshafts use plunge joints so cannot be used for lateral location like their VW counterparts. Attaching the rear suspension to the engine will make it a stressed member, which is very exotic

Alternatively you could consider cantilevering a framework off the floorpan each side of the engine to take the mountings and retain the struts, like the Stratos replicas do. Either way, its going to be an exciting build thread - more progress soon I hope?

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Mike - that's an interesting concept you have there. Are you keeping the torsion bars then? If so, are you going to replace the spring plates with fabricated trailing arms, perhaps with a radius link to stop sideways movement? The Alfa driveshafts use plunge joints so cannot be used for lateral location like their VW counterparts. Attaching the rear suspension to the engine will make it a stressed member, which is very exotic

Alternatively you could consider cantilevering a framework off the floorpan each side of the engine to take the mountings and retain the struts, like the Stratos replicas do. Either way, its going to be an exciting build thread - more progress soon I hope?

Lauren
    Hi Lauren I think the only part Iíll be left with is the torsion tube and making a frame as you guessed like a Stratos Iím looking at using a pair of short X 1/9 drive shafts ,there nice and short at 300mm with the Alfa cvís ,Punto uprights, Alfa hubs with adjustable coil over struts ,not sure on lower arms yet depending on what will fit or make my own .Great thing about using the Fiat, Alfa ,Lancia group parts bin so many bits fit on different cars ,even the X 1/9 cv joints cross reference with a Ferrari part ,anyway a lot of head scratching to come
    Mike

Sorting out my desk today and found this Nova brochure of Steve Driver's thought it might be of interest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Sorting out my desk today and found this Nova brochure of Steve Driver's thought it might be of interest
    Nice find! The lime green car is FOW 718L, which was the original ADD demonstrator. I am not sure whether Steve Driver actually owned this car or simply used pictures of it for publicity purposes. I guess the red Nova is actually his own car.

Don Law produced the other "pirate" Nova, again with moulds taken from an ADD car. I'm assuming that he was not in any way related to Don Law Racing (competition Jaguar XJ220 preparation and racing), but the former did take his Nova autocross racing with a turbocharged Ford Pinto engine...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Great thing about using the Fiat, Alfa ,Lancia group parts bin so many bits fit on different cars ,even the X 1/9 cv joints cross reference with a Ferrari part
    Yes, the acquisition of Alfa Romeo by Fiat in 1982 brought Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Lancia under the Fiat banner, and once Gianni Agnelli had replaced all the home-grown models with new cars based on the Fiat platform, everything became interchangeable...

Actually it goes back further than that, my inboard Alfasud brake calipers use identical innards to the Ferrari 308 and the Alfetta GTV.

I reckon if you are short of space the struts could be located with longitudinal trailing arms pivoting off the torsion bar tubes, with radius arms pivoting in the centre behind the gearbox. I seem to recall there is bracket there for an engine mounting or steering rack fixture. If the steering track rods are fixed to the radius arms then that solves the problem of rear wheel steering too

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Nice find! The lime green car is FOW 718L, which was the original ADD demonstrator. I am not sure whether Steve Driver actually owned this car or simply used pictures of it for publicity purposes. I guess the red Nova is actually his own car.

Don Law produced the other "pirate" Nova, again with moulds taken from an ADD car. I'm assuming that he was not in any way related to Don Law Racing (competition Jaguar XJ220 preparation and racing), but the former did take his Nova autocross racing with a turbocharged Ford Pinto engine...
    Steve was the previos owner of my car {possible the one used for the moulds}can't remember its reg as I changed the plate soon after buying the car ,also I cannot remember if it was Don Law that had the green 2,2 VW turbo nova that came off a trailer on the motorway on its way to Donington