Thread: The rebuild begins

Hybrid View

The rebuild begins

Hi I did intend to replace the Alfa 2lt twin cam on the vw box with a transverse twinspark engine and gearbox, thought if going to the trouble of engineering this I might as well go for the V6 so I have a alfa busso 24v quad cam V6 and a 6 speed box hopefully arriving Wednesday, will be a transverse mount, so busy now taking out the old rear end to mod the chassis, l try and take lots of pic,s as I go and post on here

This is going to be an interesting thread. We will all be looking forward to seeing such an exotic package fitted into the Nova. Lots of pictures is a must

Must be the 6th or 7th such project. I look forward to seeing one working on the road. There is a Lancia Delta Eagle SS with a clam shell back done in the 90s but it is laid up now, trying to get the owner to fire it up again.
    Anyway, best of luck with it.

Is Bushboy's transverse or inline, can't remember.
    Last edited by Peter; 01-03-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    The Ferrari Nova that came to Stoneleigh a few years back had the Busso V6 transversely mounted, although I don't know what chassis modifications were made to accommodate it. I recall quite a few pictures were taken at the time, they may provide some inspiration?

The obvious route would be to use an Alfa subframe and lower wishbones, Macpherson struts and lock the steering, like the Stratos replicas do. An additional support frame would have to be cantilevered off the VW floorpan to support it, and the existing cast damper mountings and transmission frame forks would have to be cut off.

It will be a challenge, but will certainly have some get up and go when its done!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    The Ferrari Nova that came to Stoneleigh a few years back had the Busso V6 transversely mounted, although I don't know what chassis modifications were made to accommodate it. I recall quite a few pictures were taken at the time, they may provide some inspiration?

The obvious route would be to use an Alfa subframe and lower wishbones, Macpherson struts and lock the steering, like the Stratos replicas do. An additional support frame would have to be cantilevered off the VW floorpan to support it, and the existing cast damper mountings and transmission frame forks would have to be cut off.

It will be a challenge, but will certainly have some get up and go when its done!

Lauren
    Ferrari Nova? Iíve never seen that one, I think with the suspension Iíll end up fabricating my own arms and uprights I find itís often easier than modifying existing parts, the track needs to be narrowed as well it would fit but I would have to fit very shallow dished wheels which I donít think really suit the nova, Iíve brought the whole car not just the engine/box so will be able to have a good measure up ,I might be able to use the MacPherson struts and fit as you say like the stratos replica and lock the steering arms even Fiat did that on the X1/9 using the strada front uprights on the back and locking the arms
    Mike

There are two pictures here: http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...igh-2017/page6 Unfortunately the idiots at Photobucket have blurred them in a failed attempt at extortion...but you'll get the idea.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Must be the 6th or 7th such project. I look forward to seeing one working on the road. There is a Lancia Delta Eagle SS with a clam shell back done in the 90s but it is laid up now, trying to get the owner to fire it up again.
    Anyway, best of luck with it.

Is Bushboy's transverse or inline, can't remember.
    Bushboys is in-line currently on the VW transaxle. Hoping one day to attach it to a reversed subaru gearbox.
    Christmas is just around the corner.

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Finally got the time to collect my engine/gearbox donor car (550 mile round trip) ,now the fun of sorting the wiring looms out what I need and what to junk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mikemrb; 20-03-2020 at 09:53 PM.

That's gonna be a beast, I'm looking forward to seeing the build progress