Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: The rebuild begins

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Had to view the pics several times to get my head around this, serious piece of work here
    Hi Steve, basically Iíve cut 190mm out of the lower sub frame tacked it back together, then cut the bracing bars by the say amount and then made the jig so when I make the frame in the car I can line the mounting points up, save a lot of measuring, will have to make the rear of the frame detachable though as Iíll never get the engine out if I need to without taking the body off

    Mike

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Had to view the pics several times to get my head around this, serious piece of work here
    You and me both, I still don't think I've managed to fully visualised it yet. But as you say some major engineering work, and some lateral thinking on keeping everything aligned when performing major surgery. This is certainly going to be a very interesting build, and a true one-off

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    116
    Well I did intend to fabricate a new floor with sheet steel but picked up an ebay bargain at the weekend, they're for a late type beetle but I'll remove the hump and runners, I've noticed the seat base is part is slightly wider a bonus DSC_0572.jpg

  4. #64
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Well I did intend to fabricate a new floor with sheet steel but picked up an ebay bargain at the weekend, they're for a late type beetle but I'll remove the hump and runners, I've noticed the seat base is part is slightly wider a bonus DSC_0572.jpg
    Looks good Mike, and I assume with your Nova being a Mk1 you'll be intending to drop the pans too? If so, I picked up a wee tip from Dirk when I did mine, and set the rear face at 45 degrees rather than vertical (as in the manual) to avoid the risk of stopping dead when hitting something whilst reversing. If you're interested you can see my drops at http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...l=1#post127140

    Alistair

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Looks good Mike, and I assume with your Nova being a Mk1 you'll be intending to drop the pans too? If so, I picked up a wee tip from Dirk when I did mine, and set the rear face at 45 degrees rather than vertical (as in the manual) to avoid the risk of stopping dead when hitting something whilst reversing. If you're interested you can see my drops at http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...l=1#post127140

    Alistair
    Hi Alistair I am running a 40mm box tube around the edge of the pans and forward beyond the front tubes (tank support) the pans will fit underneath this dropping the whole floor by 40mm, Iíll also run tubes from this box section back around the main tub to the engine/suspension tube frame
    Screenshot (165).jpgMike

  6. #66
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,762
    That'll certainly provide a much neater underside for the car

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    116
    Invested in a tig welder last week, it's learning to weld again having spent all my time using a Mig.I'm not quite laying a stack of dimes yet, 😔_20201017_180827.jpg_20201017_180851.jpg_20201017_180919.jpg

  8. #68
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,762
    Youíre clearly not starting from no experience Mike. These mig welds look great so just a wee bit more practice fiddling with the tigís settings and youíll be sorted!

    The guys and gals on the Forum encouraged me to buy a mig welder a while back for my chassis restoration and after lots of practice I set to it. Itís an extremely satisfying thing when the mig starts sizzling bacon. Looking forward to seeing your chassis developing

    Alistair

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Youíre clearly not starting from no experience Mike. These mig welds look great so just a wee bit more practice fiddling with the tigís settings and youíll be sorted!

    The guys and gals on the Forum encouraged me to buy a mig welder a while back for my chassis restoration and after lots of practice I set to it. Itís an extremely satisfying thing when the mig starts sizzling bacon. Looking forward to seeing your chassis developing

    Alistair
    Hi Alistair as you say its all about settings the Mig I have is a big professional unit which I'm so used to using, changing to the Tig the settings are total different, I need to get a foot pedal to vary the amps as unlike a mig when the metal gets hot you need to lower the amps during the weld. I'll stick with the mig for the structural stuff at the moment and practice with the tig on the other
    Mike

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    116
    I never throw possible useful things away.my wife's old treadmill base makes a great square level jig DSC_0508.jpg
    Also I've been working on some adjustable top suspension arm brackets DSC_0508.jpgDSC_0500.jpgDSC_0496.jpgDSC_0498.jpgDSC_0495.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •