Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: The rebuild begins

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Outside photos look great Mike! Thanks for sharing

Thinking ahead, and whilst very easy to do retrospectively, a removable panel in the body beneath the rear window might improve accessibility to the engine?
    The area under the window is already cut away as the fuel tank is in the front, as I did have a storage area over the gearbox where the original tank was positioned so as you say Iíll fabricate a removable panel for access to the dipstick and oil cap are on that side, although I might have to weld a new filler on the rear cam cover

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    The perspective shots really help appreciate the work that has been done.

What is the blue bar that goes across the rear wheels for?
    I wondered when someone would ask that ,its just a bar bolted to the steering arms to keep them straight until I fit the control arms ,it's still in a basic form and needs the strengthening frame work welding in

Mike

Thought Iíd do a bit on the front end to make it an easier to move about stripped and painted the front beam, and re drilled and tapped the front hubs to 110mm x5 as the came as 130mm x 5 Porsche pattern recut the hub centric spacers to fit the hubs

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Buffy used to remind us of the importance of spending 5 mins each day to keep the progress going. I know that's more than 5 mins work you've done, but it's the fact that you're keeping at it regularly ... great discipline

Buffy used to remind us of the importance of spending 5 mins each day to keep the progress going. I know that's more than 5 mins work you've done, but it's the fact that you're keeping at it regularly ... great discipline
    You've just got to keep at it, otherwise the longer you leave it the harder it is to start again

Trial fit of the front beam today, I needed replace the grease seals so decides to make some hybrid by cutting down some urethane bearing/seals retaining the roller bearing and using the urethane as an additional bearing and grease seal, luckily the track rods seem to be about correct the length for the rack, itís going to be a lot easier to move about now as I can go back to finish the rear chassis framework now

Fantastic - this car is going to be brutal - Proper mid engined too
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Loving the home engineering of the urethane bearing/seals. All looking very impressive Mike

Out of interest, what steering rack have you gone for, and is that the original front beam or did you buy new?

Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Fantastic - this car is going to be brutal - Proper mid engined too
    Thanks Phil

Loving the home engineering of the urethane bearing/seals. All looking very impressive Mike

Out of interest, what steering rack have you gone for, and is that the original front beam or did you buy new?

Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Alistair
    The rack is an Alfasud LHD unit inverted as a RHD rack moves in an incorrect direction due to the sud arms being forward of the axle .Had to get it from Portugal in the end,the beam is s/h had to do a little bit of welding but the great thing it had new ball joints fitted to the arms

Mike