Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: The rebuild begins

Great photos!

That is a big engine that you've managed to squeeze into a small compact space making it all very tidy indeed, well done

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Top work and good to see the pan on its wheels with the lump in-situ.

My only comment is that I would have slid out the 2 small torsion leaves (both tubes) to soften the ride up-front.
    I get that with a mid-engined config the weight is better distributed, I am just concerned that stock 'bars might rattle-out your fillings.
    Although that does beg the question: Will the fuel tank be in the front?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Top work and good to see the pan on its wheels with the lump in-situ.

My only comment is that I would have slid out the 2 small torsion leaves (both tubes) to soften the ride up-front.
    I get that with a mid-engined config the weight is better distributed, I am just concerned that stock 'bars might rattle-out your fillings.
    Although that does beg the question: Will the fuel tank be in the front?
    Hi Steve itís all just a trial fit at the moment ,I must take an arm off the old beam to see what I was running in that canít remember what I took out .The tank was in front also 2 radiators under the headlights ,fans, spare wheel etc. I just want to see how it sit before I change anything .The back is sitting on 400lb springs at the moment which might seem hard but their axis is from about a 100mm the way along lower arm from the ball joint so the leverage is greater on the spring I have a few sets down to 300ib so will see when I get all the weight back on

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Great photos!

That is a big engine that you've managed to squeeze into a small compact space making it all very tidy indeed, well done
    Itís so tight literally millimetres of clearance everywhere just hope my measurements are accurate when the body goes back on

Someone ask me about the rads sometime ago can't remember who but I'll post these pic's considering it's sat around over 20 years it's amazing it's still in one piece
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had imagined the flow would have been into one, then out and into the other then back. Based on the pictures it looks like the Y-Piece had the flowing going into both at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I had imagined the flow would have been into one, then out and into the other then back. Based on the pictures it looks like the Y-Piece had the flowing going into both at the same time
    Hi David I don't think it would make much difference which way you did the pipe work, I think I used the Y so the pipe diameter was similar to the inlet on the rads if going in one then to the next the pipe diameter and inlet would need to be greater so not to restrict the flow. When I had the lotus engine the rad was in the back it worked but didn't look good so when I put the 2lt alfa twin cam in I went for the front system, never had any trouble with it I think the fans only ever came on once on a very hot day in a traffic jam in Italy, only thing to be careful of is chafing of the rubber pipes in the lower pan
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Hi David I don't think it would make much difference which way you did the pipe work, I think I used the Y so the pipe diameter was similar to the inlet on the rads if going in one then to the next the pipe diameter and inlet would need to be greater so not to restrict the flow. When I had the lotus engine the rad was in the back it worked but didn't look good so when I put the 2lt alfa twin cam in I went for the front system, never had any trouble with it I think the fans only ever came on once on a very hot day in a traffic jam in Italy, only thing to be careful of is chafing of the rubber pipes in the lower pan
    Mike

I'm planning to do twin mini radiators on my Subaru Nova in the same place, similar to the layout that Mark (Buffy) did as that is the format many of the Eureka guys seem to go for in Australia. I'll give it some more thought on the pipe / water flows then.

Finally back to the nova, the wife wanted one of those chunky sleeper coffee tables so what better to use than some spare parts, the alfa suspension arms made great legs, then had to weld the sill on my daughters Citroen. Started working on the brakes today as Iím using the rear Alfa 156 callipers on what were the front hubs to get a hand brake, did think of using a hydraulic system as the car is pre 1968 but probably more hassle than a cable system, the fixing centres are smaller so had to make some adaptor plates to get them to fit, Iíll have to do a similar job to fit the Peugeot callipers to the VW stubs on the front

Ah, but is it MOT exempt?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns