Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The rebuild begins

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Loving the box section; good opportunity to get things right when you are starting from bare metal.
    Yes the original pans were getting a bit thin and would of meant patches all over not ideal and its never had a lowered floor

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Thatís going to be a really neat solution, a great way to achieve a factory looking solution.
    Hi Jim
    it also gives a bit more protection to the water pipes running under the centre spine I hope although the original poly pipes have survived for over 30 years without damage

Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Yes the original pans were getting a bit thin and would of meant patches all over not ideal and its never had a lowered floor
    I never liked the view of my dropped pans beneath my Mk2 body. I'm considering extending the sills to hide them but I'm going to wait till the body and chassis have been re-united before making any final decision.

I know there's a difference between how the Mk1 and Mk2 sills sit with the chassis but I can't recall what that is. I managed to lift my Mk2 body from the chassis without removing the sills but I don't think that's possible with a Mk1.

You've not (effectively) dropped the floor as much as the Nova Manual recommends so you might get away with it .... or are you planning to extend the sills anyway?

.... or possibly trim the sills, because now that I think about it, weren't the Mk1 sills bolted to the pans?

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 11-11-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I know there's a difference between how the Mk1 and Mk2 sills sit with the chassis but I can't recall what that is. I managed to lift my Mk2 body from the chassis without removing the sills but I don't think that's possible with a Mk1.
    I'm pretty sure the MK2 had an extra inch added to the height of the tub - that along with the extra inch added to the roof resulted in 2" extra headroom inside the car. The increased height of the tub means the sills are no longer deep enough to wrap under the floorpan. That's my understanding anyway
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I never liked the view of my dropped pans beneath my Mk2 body. I'm considering extending the sills to hide them but I'm going to wait till the body and chassis have been re-united before making any final decision.

You've not (effectively) dropped the floor as much as the Nova Manual recommends so you might get away with it .... or are you planning to extend the sills anyway?

.... or possibly trim the sills, because now that I think about it, weren't the Mk1 sills bolted to the pans?

Alistair
    Hi Alistair The car is a Mk1 so they wrap under and bolt through the outer pans to the tub they should stretch but if not Iíll alter them to fit. You say youíre considering extending the sills what about some sill covers like in photo these were off the alfa I used for parts they would extend the sill by a couple of inches ,if I decided they were needed I was thinking about shortening them and making a mould
    Mike
    Screenshot (17).jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I'm pretty sure the MK2 had an extra inch added to the height of the tub - that along with the extra inch added to the roof resulted in 2" extra headroom inside the car. The increased height of the tub means the sills are no longer deep enough to wrap under the floorpan. That's my understanding anyway
    That is my understanding as well. Also, the mounting flange is moulded in at an angle relative to horizontal, allowing the floorpan to sit higher at the front than the back, while the body appears to be level. The sills cover this up, but if you are engineering the floorpan to be level with the road you need to consider this as the nose of the car will be scraping along the road!

(my lo-tech solution was to re-purpose some 6 x 2" wooden joists, sliced diagonally along their length to form wedges)

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    That is my understanding as well. Also, the mounting flange is moulded in at an angle relative to horizontal, allowing the floorpan to sit higher at the front than the back, while the body appears to be level. The sills cover this up, but if you are engineering the floorpan to be level with the road you need to consider this as the nose of the car will be scraping along the road!

(my lo-tech solution was to re-purpose some 6 x 2" wooden joists, sliced diagonally along their length to form wedges)

Lauren
    Hi Lauren the lip is level but the pan gets deeper as it goes to the rear if that's what you mean
    Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Hi Lauren the lip is level but the pan gets deeper as it goes to the rear if that's what you mean
    Mike
    Not quite - the rim of the floorpan, where it bolts through to the body, is not level with the ground when the Beetle body is removed, and the Nova body mounting flange takes account of this. So if you set your chassis up to be level with the ground, the Nova body will slope down towards the front, putting the nose on the floor, or even below ground!

Wedging the body so that it and the floorpan are level is great for foot room. I have at least 2" more depth in the front footwells compared with the stock Mk1 Nova.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Scary times at the moment youngest daughter has tested positive for covid so Iím just having to self-isolate in the only safe place the I know the garage ,only thing is Iím almost out of gas so just tacking things together at the moment until weíre aloud out again
    Attached Images Attached Images

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Firstly, I hope your daughter's symptoms are mild and that nobody else in the family gets it.

Really applaud your quick thinking ... the garage is the perfect place for you! That's some serious work going on there. I'm looking forward to seeing your project develop further ... if we send you some gas do you think you'll be able to finish it by the time you emerge from lockdown?

Oh, almost forgot ... love the cartoon visualization of your rebuilt Nova!!