Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebuild begins

Not that is matters but on mine I have both sets of leaves but only one fixed, the other rotates freely so IF I hit a big bump it comes into play but otherwise it is just on one full set. Coupled with a heavy duty roll bar and short shocks it's perfect, but of course the ride height on the Nova is different to the SS which is standard height as per VW. .
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Not that is matters but on mine I have both sets of leaves but only one fixed, the other rotates freely so IF I hit a big bump it comes into play but otherwise it is just on one full set. Coupled with a heavy duty roll bar and short shocks it's perfect, but of course the ride height on the Nova is different to the SS which is standard height as per VW. .
    I'm confused Peter you say one rotates freely but comes in over a big bump, do you mean it's fixed but rotated back to work as the other compresses
    Mike

A bit further with the shocks ,reduced the lower seat dia so able to use 2.25 springs ,and a stainless plug to keep the dirt out of the adjuster

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Very neat - probably a lot cheaper to put together than my AVOs too. I presume they are aftermarket dampers for the E-type, I don't recall the big cat leaving the factory with that level of sophistication

Are the dampers single of double-adjustable? I've been looking at the spec for my old SPAX units and the standard ratio is 3:1 rebound/bump, which ironically is the same numbers that I have dialled in to the AVO double-adjustables

Still, the front will need a bit more fine tuning I think, plus the front/rear damper ratios can be used to aid weight transfer for those of us not lucky enough to have anti-roll bars

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Very neat - probably a lot cheaper to put together than my AVOs too. I presume they are aftermarket dampers for the E-type, I don't recall the big cat leaving the factory with that level of sophistication

Are the dampers single of double-adjustable? I've been looking at the spec for my old SPAX units and the standard ratio is 3:1 rebound/bump, which ironically is the same numbers that I have dialled in to the AVO double-adjustables

Still, the front will need a bit more fine tuning I think, plus the front/rear damper ratios can be used to aid weight transfer for those of us not lucky enough to have anti-roll bars

Lauren
    Hi Lauren they are Spax adjustables ,the threaded tubes and spring seats were repurposed from the new dx coil overs that leaked before I even fitted them ,decided not to use the Elise koniís as they were only height adjustable but they did give a lot more space at the top mount {its all very close to the cam pulleys} being inverted shocks .Iíve got some Koni adjustables for the front as I think the old light blue spax that have been on there for over 30 years and still not leaking have done the job, just the bushes getting a bit pass it
    Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Progressing well - good work

Finally supporting itself on its rear suspension, excuse the uses of all the crappy old bolts and fixings just using what I can find in the garage to hold it together until I know what I require before ordering new, its sitting on 400lb springs at the moment which I donít think will be far off I've got a few pairs of of lighter springs to try if not, had to chop the rear frame again for the coil/shocks and its now in its basic form before I weld in all the bracing

Great progress looking very good.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Nice update and great work
    I wouldn't mind seeing a pulled-back shot from further out, to get a look at how everything sits on the 'pan.

Another milestone, well done.

I agree with Steve a couple of shots from a distance would help with the perspective to truly appreciate the work and layout