Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The rebuild begins

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Steve was the previos owner of my car {possible the one used for the moulds}can't remember its reg as I changed the plate soon after buying the car ,also I cannot remember if it was Don Law that had the green 2,2 VW turbo nova that came off a trailer on the motorway on its way to Donington
    I must admit I did wonder if your paths had crossed, you being into grasstrack racing as well.

Do you think the red car in the advert is yours then? Or another car belonging to SSD?
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    The green one is still on the DVLA database tax due 1976 but the last change of V5 was 1991 when did it fall off the trailer?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I must admit I did wonder if your paths had crossed, you being into grasstrack racing as well.

Do you think the red car in the advert is yours then? Or another car belonging to SSD?
    Mine is green and was an F plate ,don't know anything about the red car

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The green one is still on the DVLA database tax due 1976 but the last change of V5 was 1991 when did it fall off the trailer?

Dirk
    Hi Dirk it's not the car in the picture it was a mid green car I think that belonged to Don Law

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Yes, the acquisition of Alfa Romeo by Fiat in 1982 brought Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Lancia under the Fiat banner, and once Gianni Agnelli had replaced all the home-grown models with new cars based on the Fiat platform, everything became interchangeable...

Actually it goes back further than that, my inboard Alfasud brake calipers use identical innards to the Ferrari 308 and the Alfetta GTV.

I reckon if you are short of space the struts could be located with longitudinal trailing arms pivoting off the torsion bar tubes, with radius arms pivoting in the centre behind the gearbox. I seem to recall there is bracket there for an engine mounting or steering rack fixture. If the steering track rods are fixed to the radius arms then that solves the problem of rear wheel steering too
    Yes the Sud and GTV callipers look the same but the GTV has smaller pistons but they do share the problematic leaky inner adjuster seals canít think of the amount of callipers Iíve binned years ago ,you could buy a seal kits but they didnít include the inner adjuster seal .
    With the engine fit yes its tight ,the main problem is width the 156 has a wide track hence the X1/9 shafts ,maybe Iíll use both or one of the X 1/9ís and one of the 156ís shafts to get the desired track as I donít want to use high offset narrow wheels if I can avoid it

Blog Entries
    Following this build with interest, keep the updates coming.

Had to spend some time over the last few weeks getting rid of the donor alfa 156 as my wife reckoned 6 cars in the drive was enough anything for a peaceful life ,ended up having to cut the car up to get it taken away as none of the salvage people around here have grab lorries . I also managed to get some wheels this week to replace the 7x14 wolfrace slots as tyres are so limited these days and I never have like plastic American tyres anyway, the chassis is now in the garage to have a trial line up of drive shafts, hubs etc. ,the torsion arms are still on to act as measurement ref point for axle centre line ,Iím going with the two short X 1/9 shafts as they give just the right track width ,hopefully I wonít have to remove the torsion tube for extra rigidity when I make the rear frame for the engine/suspension mounts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice update, good work. The lump looks reasonably compact in-situ.
    Double joined driveshafts so there is an IRS conversion coming?

I don't think those wheels are wide enough ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice update, good work. The lump looks reasonably compact in-situ.
    Double joined driveshafts so there is an IRS conversion coming?

I don't think those wheels are wide enough ;-)
    The photo does make the wheels look large but they are well inside the bodywork the track is quite narrow with the very short shafts , suspension will be an unequal length double wishbone setup159suspfr.jpg

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Looking great Mike. Must admit when you 1st posted photos of the engine I couldn't visualize how you could squeeze that lump in, but it looks remarkably good. As Steve says, the wheels are a bit narrow .... seriously though, what size are they?

Also interested that you had to cut up the car. I've got a LWB Suzuki Grand Vitara in the drive that needs to be hoisted over the wall into a single track road and none of the salvage people will touch it, so I might just have to go down the same route as you ... the pressure from Mrs Bluenova is becoming unbearable. I mean, it's only sat there for 4 years, that's not long ... is it?

Keep the updates coming ... this is going to be quite an extraordinary build!

Alistair