Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for eliminating creaks and squeaks?

Any tips for eliminating creaks and squeaks?

I drove my car today for the first time in about a month, and having been used to driving a much more refined car recently, it struck me how many noisy creaks and squeaks there are coming from the Nova. Most of the noise (apart from the engine - which I don't mind) seems to be coming from the canopy moving about on the bodywork. My rams don't maintain a negative pressure very well so I think a lot of the noise is as a result. I'm wondering if a new set of rams (or proper overhaul of the existing rams) would make a big difference? Or are there other areas I should be looking at such as the roof seal itself?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Grinding the roof down tight with the rams makes the canopy as quiet as it can be - which is 'ish' (so improving your holding pressure will help). My first car with the manual roof held shut at the rear by the latch and was pulled tight just fore of the side-pockets by large over-centre catches - they kept it quieter than the hydraulic rams....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I agree - even running the Mini-pack until the by-pass valve operates (allegedly at 210 Bar) the canopy still creaks and squeaks, particularly over rough roads. The original manual canopy catches/latches would probably help, but can be a bit awkward to operate with the hydraulics. I remember I had to open the centre rear latch and push the (momentary) canopy button at the same time to open mine - not easy!

I find the most effective way of dealing with creaks and squeaks is not to have a modern car at all
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Phill,

I've solved creaky floorboards by lifting them and shaking talcum powder on the joists and floorboard joints to 'lubricate' them.

Whilst I'm not suggesting you shake lots of talc over your Nova, would a wee skoosh of silicon spray in the areas you hear creaks and squeaks be worth a try?

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hello mate, Is the canopy touching the body anywhere? i.e. fibreglass to fibreglass contact?
    It shouldn't be, even with the negative pressure of a Smiths pump.

Is the suspension too firm at the front? Can you experiment by softening the shocks, or lowering tyre pressures? Does that improve things?

Thanks for the suggestions - yes I'm pretty sure there is fibreglass to fibreglass contact in some areas Steve - Particularly at the back where the return on the canopy rests up against the return on the bodywork (i.e at 90 degrees - not on the horizontal surface where you would expect). I think I will try spraying some Teflon PTFE lubricant in the areas making contact as suggested by Alistair. And whilst I can't soften my front suspension I may try running lower tyre pressures (currently set at 20psi on the front). I don't recall my oroginal Nova being as Squeaky - but then it did have brand new hydraulics that did hold a negative pressure

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I know its not particularly helpful as its a big investment but changing my suspension to the Red 9 eliminated lots of squeaks.
    I tried lubricating the horns on the roof of my last Nova but it quickly rubs off.

Dirk

Ear plugs!!!
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I know its not particularly helpful as its a big investment but changing my suspension to the Red 9 eliminated lots of squeaks.
    I tried lubricating the horns on the roof of my last Nova but it quickly rubs off.

Dirk
    My canopy horns were already cut off, this eliminates a lot of rubbing I think

Not sure I understand what is meant by canopy horns - can someone please explain?